1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

illogical XP file number sequencing!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by shelley, Apr 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shelley

shelley Thread Starter

I had a perfectly good file number sequence which went like this, for example ~

tbh_0051
    tbh_0051x
    tbh_0060
    tbh_0060x
    (and much further down the list)
    tbh_050
    tbh_051
    tbh_060

All very logical, leading zeros counting as a real number.

Suddenly, under XP, they are in this sequence ~

tbh_050
    tbh_0051
    tbh_051
    tbh_0051x
    tbh_060
    tbh_0060
    tbh_0060x

where the second leading zero seems to be irrelevant. Not only are they now out of sequence but all lumped higgledy piggledy together. This makes my pitiful life incredibly difficult because none of my many thousands of file numbers now make any logical sense! Can anyone help me put the old numbering sequence back together again and regain my sanity?

2. Die Hard

Die Hard

It seems as if they are stored in alphabethical order. Go to "view>icons " and see if you can get them back by using "date of change" or "size" .

Die Hard

3. shelley

shelley Thread Starter

Nothing works.

I've played around with icon listing, tiles, thumbnails, lists, details, whatever with no change to the way this stupid OS lists numbers. I've been into Properties and 'Customised' (is that some sick joke?) this folder by flicking through Photo Albums and Documents and Pictures, etc, etc, and again, no change. And now I have a useless menu to the left of my list with Folder & File Task, Other Places and Details which I cannot get rid of. GRRRRRRR!!!!! Do I HATE XP!!!!!!! This must be the most irritating, stupid, crassly-designed, no-brainer of an OS EVER!

4. WindowWizard

WindowWizard

Have you checked the regional and alnguage settings in the control panel?

If those are set wrong I can see how this would occure.

5. shelley

shelley Thread Starter

I don't follow what you mean.

6. shelley

shelley Thread Starter

Anyone else with any thoughts on why this is happening and how I can resolve this problem? :(

The file numbers follow the correct sequence in Win95 and Win2000Pro. Why should XP be any different in the way it reads numbers? :confused:

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!