1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Illustrator keyboard shortcuts frozen

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by BuzzNY, Feb 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BuzzNY

BuzzNY Thread Starter

Hi!

I need help on a silly, hard-to-crack, annoing little problem.
    Now and then, for no apparent reason, my keyboard shortcuts in Adobe Illustrator just stop working...even the most basic ones, like Ctrl+-, Ctrl+Z, and so on.
    I'm running Illustrator 10.0.3 on a Windows 2000 PC. When the shortcuts freeze in Illustrator, all my other Adobe products keep happily working, and their keyboard shortcuts work just fine (Photoshop 7.0.1, Pagemaker 6.5, InDesign CS, Acrobat 5.0.7).
    Stopping and restarting the program won't do it: I have to reboot to fix the problem...really a lot of fun when working on a deadline.

I have already tried trashing the AIPref file and replacing it with a fresh copy: it won't do it, I have to reboot.

Then I tried to open Illustrator and, under edit>keyboard shortcuts, I reloaded the Illustrator Factory Default set...nothing.

Then I uninstalled and reinstalled Illustrator....5 days later, the problem is back.

Adobe tech support couldn't help me: they suggested I trashed AIPref,( ..duh!), then they said some other program, running in the background, must be hijacking the shortcuts: I tried stopping every visible program, then I installed and ran Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta, just to be sure some weirdo process wasn't running without me knowing....no change....

I tried taking a look at the task manager...I couldn't see any strange process, but I'm not THAT good...

I'm running out of ideas...I searched the web, and the only suggestion give for this problem is always "reboot" .....duh!

Well, that's all, folks! Thanks in advance for any help!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328482

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice