I'm at Wit's End

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

neo9999

I have a Dell Precision 490 5130 2ghz xeon running 64 bit windows 7 pro.
Original hardware: 2Gb pc2 5300 ecc ram, asus 210 silent gpu, 1 TB 7200 rpm SATA HDD, Dvd-rom, DVD-rw, 3.5 fdd.
Awhile back, I installed upgrades for gaming and better performance: 16Gb pc2 6400 ecc ram, asus gtx 950 gpu. It works wonderfully for month. Intermittently, it starts shutting down for no good reason: while I'm playing games, while I'm surfing the web, while I'm doing nothing at all. Eventually it starts shutting down while the os is trying to initialize. I reformat the hd and reinstall windows... Same problem. I reinstall the original hardware... Same problem. I clean the fans and components as best I can... Same problem. I try to boot from windows 7 boot disk... Same problem. I leave the side panel open and point a house fan (on high) directly at the cpu... Same problem. I think the power supply needs to be replaced, but I'd like an expert opinion before I spend more money.

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Hello and welcome to TSG!!

Have you tried testing the hard drive? Most Dells have a diagnostic option using a function key (can't recall which one, offhand) at power up. Either that or download the diags from the drive's manufacturer site.

neo9999

Hello and welcome to TSG!!

Have you tried testing the hard drive? Most Dells have a diagnostic option using a function key (can't recall which one, offhand) at power up. Either that or download the diags from the drive's manufacturer site.
I do recall running a diagnostic on the hard drive. It passed. At this point I can't even get into CMOS settings anymore after I disabled the 'fast boot's option.

managed

Allan
I think for Dells it's F12 then arrow keys to select 'Diagnostics' from the menu that appears, try tapping F12 continuously just after switch on.

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Was this recently? You say the problem s fairly recent.

When it shuts down, is it a sudden power off type of shutdown? Or a graceful, close all programs kind of shut down?

neo9999

Was this recently? You say the problem s fairly recent.

When it shuts down, is it a sudden power off type of shutdown? Or a graceful, close all programs kind of shut down?
It's a sudden power off. The problem of it shutting down while it's loading BIOS started today after I disabled fast boot. It's like it just runs out of gas.

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
It could very well be the PSU. Is it the original?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I have a Dell Precision 490 5130 2ghz xeon running 64 bit windows 7 pro.
Original hardware: 2Gb pc2 5300 ecc ram, asus 210 silent gpu, 1 TB 7200 rpm SATA HDD, Dvd-rom, DVD-rw, 3.5 fdd.
Awhile back, I installed upgrades for gaming and better performance: 16Gb pc2 6400 ecc ram, asus gtx 950 gpu.
What is the exact 7-character "service tag" number on your Dell Precision 490 WorkStation?

It has a very weak Intel Xeon 5130 2.00 GHz dual core processor, but it has a strong NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950 graphics card.

cpu.JPG gpu.JPG

Because of its very old age, there may be other issues with it, but its very weak processor is a severe bottleneck to quality gaming.

--------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online