1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I'm close to tears about Office 97 and Reinstalling

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by pambesteder, Apr 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pambesteder

pambesteder Thread Starter

I've spent HOURS this morning trying to find solutions to some error messages I'm receiving when trying to install Office 97 back onto my computer so that I can reinstall the Office 2003 UPGRADE that I bought for it in 2003.

I called Microsoft and they would not help me because they no longer support 97.

I think I'm using Windows XP. I don't know how to tell. Sorry.

The problems all started yesterday when I needed to create a calendar in Publisher. In doing so, it gave me the message that the wizard was not installed and to use the set-up disk and reinstall it. OK, so I got my 2003 disk and put it in the computer.

We began to get these messages about some LIS tool that holds the updates or changes to the system? All still confusing.

At any rate, my husband and I just figured the best thing to do is to uninstall 2003 and then reinstall it and get the wizard then since there was no option to add the wizard any other way. But we found it could not be uninstalled! We tried everything and finally found a post that told us how to uninstall it and Office 97 since we couldn't find out how to get the wizard from there also.

Now, I cannot reinstall Office 97 so that I can reinstall 2003 and am getting these errors once the 97 installation gets to the end:

Error1: An error has occurred at changing workgroup database. I clicked OK
    Error2: Set up couldn't create a SYSTEM.MDW file. I clicked OK
    Error3: Set up has encountered a problem updating your system registry. I clicked OK
    Error 4: vbe.dll was unable to register itself in the system registry. I clicked OK

Can anyone help me?

It seems a simple thing to reinstall, but it's not and I've lost a whole day of work!

Pam

2. xMP44x

xMP44x

Now, I'm sorry to say I don't have any advice, but at the same time, I do have a suggestion. While Office 97 is incredibly outdated, I can appreciate you are likely used to its interface and you prefer it to more recent Office programs. That being said, however, there are probably very few, if any, programs that have a similar interface to those of Office 97.

You have at least two options here, which I will cover in detail for you:

Purchase a new copy of Microsoft Office. This is the only method that will cost money that I am going to cover. You have the option to purchase a new copy of Microsoft Office and then install that on your PC. However, the most recent Office available for Windows is Office 2007. '07 has a redesigned interface and not only that, will be phased out and killed off later this year by Microsoft's own Office 2010. This is my least recommended idea for this reason alone.

Download a freeware alternative. While you pay money for Microsoft Office, did you know there are many alternatives around the internet? Most of them are free, too. So you have nothing to lose, seeing as the majority of them support files from Microsoft Office. So for example, I save a file at school from Microsoft Word to my memory stick. I can then open it in my freeware program at home on my laptop. There are literally tons of these programs around. I suggest you go to AlternativeTo and then search for Microsoft Office. If you do not want to do this, I can suggest OpenOffice to you. It's a more complete program than AbiWord, which is merely a replacement for Microsoft Word. OpenOffice is completely free, and I highly recommend it. AbiWord is good as well, but it is only really a Microsoft Word alternative. No PowerPoint, etc., so it might not be what you want..

Download the 2010 Beta. Microsoft are allowing people to download the Beta of Microsoft Office 2010. It is a beta though so it likely has a few bugs. However it might be worth going down this route, purely for the option of using the new interface. This Beta will expire though, so you might dislike this option for this reason.

Determining your Operating System.

I noticed in your initial post that you are not sure what Operating System you have. While this will likely not be of help to know for this reason, it'll be helpful in the situation where you might have a problem. This is not likely though, providing you stick to reputable programs and do not download anything dodgy. Simply look at the images below:

[​IMG]

This is Windows XP. Please note that your desktop may not look exactly like this one. However, if it has the green button with the word 'Start' written on it, that is an XP machine.

[​IMG]

This is Windows Vista. As you think you're already on XP it is more likely to be an XP machine than a Vista machine, but I added the image for this and Windows 7, just in case.

[​IMG]

This is Windows 7. This is the newest OS and if you do not remember installing recently this is highly unlikely to be your current OS. I hope this is beneficial to you, and I apologise if it is a block of text.

3. dotty999

dotty999

First Name:
    Dotty
    To determine your O S version, click Start, right click My Computer then Properties, the General tab will display your details

4. pambesteder

Thanks, but I don't use Office 97, it was the original I purchased, but I upgraded to 2003 in 2003. The only reason I need to reinstall 97 was because 2003 was purchased as an UPGRADE and needed 97 to be reinstalled.

With that said, I tried the restore option while waiting for a reply and the system restored me to 2 days ago.

What that did was to put 2003 back on the computer (and in the INSTALL/UNSTALL option on the Control Panel), Office 97 is no longer showing because 2003 was it's upgrade.

But now, even with the restore, I cannot open any Office documents. When I do, I get this error:

"The installation source for this document is not available, verify that the source exists and you can access it."

What can I do to fix this error and now be able to open Office files since being restored to 2 days ago?

5. pambesteder

I'm running Vista

6. xMP44x

xMP44x

I don't think you can do anything about 2003 at this stage. It lasted a good while though, but I would recommend that you now consider one of the three options above. The problem with the installation source is that Windows itself doesn't actually know what program it is trying to open the file with... because it has no idea what type of file it is. You can fix that by installing Office, or trying one of the three methods I outlined above. I imagine they should be a benefit to you.

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Are you sure you can't just do an install straight from the Office 2003 disk? Did you try? Maybe you'd be prompted for the Office 97 disk or key.

8. hqnet

hqnet

If I recall correctly, some upgrade versions of office worked like this:

you execute the installer from the CD,
    it asks for a source of the original version
    then you swap the CD with new version, put your old version CD and then let the installer look it up, so it knows you do have a previous version entitled to upgrade (even if it is not installed)
    then it allows you to swap back the new version's disc and continue to install it

I am pretty sure that is how I installed Office 2000 meny times in the past, but memory fails sometimes :)

Otherwise, my guess is that your Vista installations was upgraded at some point from an older windows version, and the Office 97 installer has issues with Vista and that is why it fails.

If that's the case it's going to be complicated since doing a clean install of Office 97 might prove impossible. What I would do in such scenario i not removing Office 97 (since it would be needed as base for office 2003) but instead run the office 2003 uninstaller to try to reinstall that one (MSO 2003) from scratch.
    A web search for "office 2003 uninstaller" should lead you to the official and free removal utility.

Hope this helps.

HQ

9. hqnet

hqnet

Have you tried to open a document having the installation disc (once with each one) inserted so the system can find it and pick the files it might be attempting to retrieve from them?

HQ.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917516

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice