Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Im connected through a wireless router and a modem... Want to get rid of the router

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  SpyKiller112 
#1 ·
the Cable connected to the modem, modem conencts to the Wireless router, and that connects to my computer. Since i hardly ever use the wireless router, i decided i want to just connect to the modem. I switched all the ethernet cords and by looking at what i had done, everything should have been working fine.

But that is wrong... I couldnt connect to the internet. I while back i set up a static IP address, but i changed that. the settings look like this now:

(to post this i had to go back to the router and the modem)

when i was trying to use just the modem, windows window bubble came up and said i have little or no activity, and i tried repairing it. windows tried to renew my IP address but that failed so there was nothing else i could think of doing.

what can i do so i can just connect throught the modem?!

See less See more
#7 ·
I dont know why i cant just make the switch. seems like it should work.

there must be some settings that make the computer think that the only way to connect to the internet is to go through the way i had it set up. other than the image i posted, i dont know what other settings to change/look at.

#8 ·
this wireless router has no security features - it should at least have a NAT firewall thats a fair amount of protection right there.

Check your WAN settings in your router and see what if anything you have hardcoded in there. If everything is set to get it automatically then really all you should have to do is power everything off unplug the PC to the router unplug the router to the modem hook the PC directly to the modem turn the modem on and then turn the PC on.

You also may have to check with your ISP to ensure the modem is not designated to a MAC address or anything like that. They may have to reset something on their end.

Are you in the IP properties of the right network adapter when your looking at this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.