1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I'm fine w/ ads on this site but I DON'T LIKE this one

Discussion in 'Site Help, Feedback, & Announcements' started by I Fix 4 U, Sep 18, 2004.

Advertisement
  1. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U Thread Starter

OK its a long title for the thread i know but i'm ok with ads on TSG i just done like one b/c its quite annoying. It has embedded sound in it so im just working and then this ad starts speaking to me. Its about this college degree thing and it has a volume bar. I do not like talkin ads and i see they are becoming more popular. Now instant messenger uses them so i had to block flash objects from that program.

2. buck52

buck52 Banned

Howdy

donate and the ads will be gone and... use the spell check so your posts are easier to read... ;) ...b/c?

buck

3. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U Thread Starter

b/c stands for because and like i said i'm 14 and i promise will donate when i have the money. i'm also fine with ads as they support the site but i dont like (on any site) audio ads. It can really mess things up esp in linux when the browser tries to take over the sound device. oK :) ps most the time i use quick reply and stuff.

4. buck52

buck52 Banned

Thanks for that :rolleyes: ... for your info... It takes the human brain twice as long if not longer to process b/c as it does because

Sorry if that, or I, offended you...typing shortcuts such as that are a reflection of the crappy society we live in today...

sorry for the rant but wait a minute...what is this... "esp" let me guess...especially

buck

5. southernlady

southernlady

Buck, he's not the only one who doesn't like it. And here is not the only place I have seen it. I will avoid other sites that use it. I don't avoid this site however. :) It's the ONLY exception. Right now, we are too broke to donate money so I donate time instead, so I live with the ads and I skip forward as fast as I can, but I do have to agree with that particular ad. It IS annoying as all blazes. The rest I can handle. Liz

6. buck52

buck52 Banned

turn your volume down

buck

7. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U Thread Starter

ok so i will turn my volume down. that wont fix the linux bug. and i'm sorry it may be harder to process b/c but its easier to type :rolleyes:. I spend alot of time here and i wish acacandy will read this because (u see i stopped using it) all the other ads are fine as agreed. but embedded sound is pretty bad its a nuisance to the site. matter of fact i may have to block flash animation from this site if that ad keeps popping up.

8. mach9

mach9

iXneonXi:
    You are only 14? I'm astonished. Read many of your posts. Good stuff. I'm an oldie like Buck but the abreviations don't bother me at all. All the years in school-grad work, etc. had to use wide variety of notations for class notes. The computer lingo just seems a variant of that. Since I've used b/c for a long time I process it faster than because. So there! :D

9. buck52

buck52 Banned

Howdy again

20 dollars for a whole year of no ads... If you all can afford internet access you can afford the 20 bucks...give me a break

I call it lazy

buck

10. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U Thread Starter

thanks for the comment. the ad doesnt really matter anymore as i blocked it. no more pesky sound. Site is great now. I came here towards the middle of summer looking for linux help and since the people were so nice and the site was well maintained i decided to contribute towards the community. now i come here when i wake up, when i get home from school, and right before i go to bed. i work or play in between.

11. buck52

buck52 Banned

iXneonXi andmach9

first and foremost...your help is much appreciated

I do not come from a grad school or internet/chatroom background and find the typing shortcuts a sign of laziness and poor grammar...

take no offense... it's just the way I was brought up

I'm an old dog and the thought of new tricks is not in the cards...
    buck

12. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U Thread Starter

thats fine with me. i'll try not to use too much shortcuts but its hard not to type b/c as i usually mispell because and it types longer. i'm in school and i multitask alot on my computer so i have embraced shortcuts and use them in everything. i have tons of hotkeys set and stuff like that. I barely use the mouse as i'd have to move my hands of the keyboard.

As to wrap up this thread, anyone who doesn't like the ad can simply just block it with any program that will do that job. I just found a good one for me that does the trick.
    PS if TSG plans on getting ads like those planes that wil fly across the page or those interactive objects that will move around the page or flash in the middle of the screen until you click them i highly recommend you reconsider as it will draw quite a few people away from the site as they are even worse than audio ads in my opinion.

13. Guyzer

Guyzer

First Name:
    Guy
    But have you donated yet?

14. RandyG

RandyG

LOL . . .

neon - Mike's promised no popups, and I doubt he would allow interference the type you speak of.

The easiect way to block intrusive ads is to get the address of the ad, and then include the root site to your hosts file, so instead of showing ads from that company, you will have a little 404 error listed there instead.

15. Guyzer

Guyzer

First Name:
    Guy
    DONATE........ It's easier than trying to block ads. :D

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275353

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice