I'm firing windows...but which Linux to use?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

webzter

Hi;
I've threatened long enough and now I'm going to do it. I went on Ebay to find a replacement for W2k Pro and XP Pro and there must be at least a half dozen versions of Linux- can someone recommend one?
Thanks
Webz

Head over to distrowatch.org and read up on the various distros. A good place to download your distro of choice is linuxiso.org. Most distros are freely downloadable from linuxiso.org.

Mandriva and Xandros are good intro distros. I currenty use Fedora Core 4 and love it.

Don't go to ebay either, unless it's directly from the maker of the distro don't buy it. Almost every distro is free, although most can be shipped on a cd to you if you want.

webzter

Big-K....wasn't until I got to distrowatch that I realized most of these programs are n/c- pretty neat- thanks

Mandrake (Mandriva) 2005 is about as user-friendly for new users as they come. The majority of it can be downloaded free, and the update service is not too expensive, either.

http://www.mandriva.com/

I will suggest Mandrake. Or if you are a GNU fan, go for Debian. Fedora Core is usually very heavy on system resources

I won't get into a pissing contest about which distro is better, but the last post is nothing more than false. It might appear that way because the use of Gnome , if that were the case then use KDE. I don't buy for a minute that Fedora is any more resource hungry then another Redhat Based distro. I do, however, agree that Mandriva is a very user friendly distro.

linuxphile said:
I won't get into a pissing contest about which distro is better, but the last post is nothing more than false. It might appear that way because the use of Gnome , if that were the case then use KDE. I don't buy for a minute that Fedora is any more resource hungry then another Redhat Based distro. I do, however, agree that Mandriva is a very user friendly distro.
I would suggest you try out PCQ Linux 2005 which is based on Fedora Core 3 and feel the difference. http://www.pcquest.com Although its based on FC, their customisation is pretty good.

And yes, I have been using KDE only. I agree that FC is one of the most popular distro but there are other ones catching up fast.

------------------------------
PS : I don't claim I am an expert on Linux (or any other tech related topic), but I do have access to some experts. Their knowledge is pretty good and I would trust their judgement. This is what I have been told and consequently experienced :rolleyes:

If you want to get a feel for Linux, try Knoppix or Mepis. Both these are live CD distributions based on Debian using a KDE desktop. The configurations are different though and its all a matter of preference. I know of several people using Ubuntu, a Debian distribution with a Gnome desktop. They swear by it. Stable, secure, regular updates. Just something to think about. Ubuntu is not a live CD but an install so you can't try it out first.

If your a linux n00b just download and install College Linux... Far the most simple free version. If your looking to spend money, get linspire.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts