1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I'm getting an error everytime I start up my computer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Dee Williams, Aug 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dee Williams

Dee Williams Thread Starter

I am using Windows XP. Everytime I restart my computer I get an error
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\stlbdist.Dll. How can I fix this?

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    It appears that you have a "nasty" in your computer to get rid of.

Download and install Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.3 and Ad-Aware SE Personal 1.03. Once you've done that, run their update function and get them completely up-to-date. Once you've done that, run a scan with Spybot and delete everything in red that it finds, reboot, run a scan with Ad-Aware and delete everything that it finds, then reboot again.

Click Start - Run, type in MSCONFIG, then click OK - Startup(tab). If the STLBDIST.DLL command is listed there, uncheck it, click Apply - OK, then reboot.

3. slingshotter

slingshotter

Welcome to the TSG forums.

The BAD news is, you must not be running any antivirus software, or you haven't used it recently. The WORSE news is, you're infected with "Peper", a NASTY backdoor trojan, which is not a good thing to have.

Check this link:

http://www.pestpatrol.com/PestInfo/p/peper.asp

The WORST news is, I can't remove that for you from way over here, so you're going to have to roll up your sleeves and get busy.

First thing: if you have an antivirus program, update the virus definitions NOW. Then run it, and hope it can clean your system, or tell YOU how to clean your system.

If you DON'T have an antivirus program, open Internet Explorer, and go HERE:

http://housecall.trendmicro.com

Run the ONLINE virus scan, which will take HOURS. DO NOT TRY to use your computer for ANYTHING while the virus scan runs.

When it FINISHES, follow whatever instructions it provides, REBOOT your system, and THEN post your results back here.

Good luck - HTH

- slingshotter

EDIT: OUT-TYPED AGAIN!

4. Joe135

Joe135

the file could be dameged or missing go to another win xp computer copy the file and replace the file on your computer

5. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Joe:
    I think I'd read the post above yours!! :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!