im having a problem with my hard drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

demi4200

hey everyone, i just bought some new components for my pc basically i switched out everything but the dvd-r drive and hard drive. im pretty sure i got everything working fine but my hard drive is transferring data super slow (only 3mb/s) its an ide style hitachi hd (HDT722516DLAT80) 160 g.b. ive been trying to fix this all day and im stumped so if someone could take a sec and help me out id appericate it.

heres my systems specs
xfx nvidia 650i ultra mobo
xfx nvidia 8600 256 mb g card
e4300 duo core 2 proccessor
2gb patriot ram

ive tried changing dma mode in the device manager but it wont switch from pio mode, ive tried uninstalling the ide controllers throught the decive manager and letting windows reinstall them, ive tried changing some of the setting on the hd like quite mode & power saving mode and there both set to performance actually after i set those last ones i lost a mb of transfer speed, finally i check mother board bios and all seems normal as far as i can tell.

the only thing i can think of is that there is only one ide connection on the board and i have to run both the dvd drive and hd off of it and the mother board manual stated that if there are 2 drives connected to it both of the drives would run at the lowest transfer rate out of the 2. would my dvd drive run at only 4mb's a sec??? that seems slow to me but then i dont know much about it. if its needed i can take it out and grab the model number off of it.

i was think about heading to a electronics store to see if i can find a ide/sata bridge so i can take the hd off of the ide port, would that help???

EDIT: i just thought of another question i had while i was installing my new setup, my ram is rated at 2.2 volts but my mother boards bios only goes upto 2.10 volts is there any way to set the voltage to the rated specs? also was does commands per cycle mean? the timing information for the memory is 4-4-4-12 but theres another option to set the commands per cycle currently its set to 2t should i change that?

EDIT 2: i just thought of another thing, could i have set up the hd wrong when i reformatted it? that was just another idea i was thinking about...

demi4200

thanks for the link im not sure if this applies to me tho because i dont think im having time out or crc issues.

Frank4d

Retired Trusted Advisor
You might check it out anyway. Windows doesn't always warn you with an error message, it just happens.

demi4200

once i get my hd up and running again if i encounter the pio problem ill try that hotfix...

as for the mother board drivers i did install them at the time but perhaps i missed some while not being careful of what i was doing. like i said above once i get my hd back up and running ill make sure i have everything properly installed.

well i went out and purchased a ide to sata dongle/bridge/adaptor or whatever you want to call it. i've tried it on both the dvd drive and hard drive and it gives me problems with both. if i use if on the dvd drive it gives me "ntldr is missing" errors and when i try it on the hard drive my windows install does not complete it just sits at the "setup is loading windows" step. i read about sata drivers that needed to be installed during windows setup and i thought i had them but they turned out to be the raid drivers. pretty much all tonight ive been trying to figure out how to make a bootable disk with sata drivers on it, theres a way to make it for nforce4 mobos with a program in the driver package called makedisk.exe i wonder if that would work on my mobo???

well right now i'm zero filling my hd ive tried to format and re-format it so many times today i think it needs to be wiped clean.

i hope someone can chime in here soon and help me out. also thanks to the people who have already stepped in to lend a hand i apperciate it.

demi4200

well i got windows to install on the hd, for some reason it take about 4 hours for the mobo to verify the dmi pool data but after that it loads up whatever it was supposed to load.

i checked the transfer speeds and there still 4 mb/s

is anyone gonna chime in here? have i missed some needed details or is this just too hard to help fix over the internet?

Sounds like something is wrong with the motherboard or the bios setup if it takes 4 hours to verify the dmi pool data.

First can you try reseating the cables for the hard drive, and dvd drive if it is IDE.
Also make sure all the settings in your BIOS are correct for the new system.
I came across these looking for information. Did this problem happen before when you installed windows the first time?

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000474.htm
http://www.duxcw.com/faq/computer/dmi.html

demi4200

no the first time i installed windows this did not happen, it took about 30 second to verify the dmi pool data (which was still slow)

i'll reseat the ide cables in a few i'm waiting for windows to load up at the moment (its almost done.. 3hrs and 30mins in)

im gonna try to hot swap the dvd drive to a sata port (with the ide to sata bridge i bought) once xp loads, crossing my fingers that works...

demi4200

just tried my idea and it did'nt work... i also reseated the ide cables not sure what elese to try at this point.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!