I'm having trouble with my dual boot setup. HELP!!! FAST!!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

darkelf_18

Hello, I'm using Win XP and Mandrake 9.1 in a dual boot config. on two different HD's. And today I found out that if I try to boot without the Linux drive hooked up, it just shows a binary code and then it say 'Invalid system disk please insert boot disk into ATAPI CD-ROM DRIVE D and press ENTER'.
Why won't it let me boot without the Linux drive attached to my MOBO? Is there some setting, I have to adjust to boot from either drive at any time? I'm very confused right now so please help ASAP.
Thanks,
D.E.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
When you installed Linux, it took over as the boot loader for Both Operating Systems.

I'm curious; why did you unplugged the Linux drive from your system?Do you no longer want it and want to use the second drive for somthing else?
lynch

darkelf_18

Yes Lynch, I am building a new system for my father, and I can't get linux to work very well, so I decided that since the Linux drive is smaller and doesn't get very much use. I'd just give him that drive.
And LwdSquashman, why did you tell me what I already knew, instead of how to fix the problem???

Oh,OK. Just boot with a win98 bootdisk and run fdisk/mbr.
That'll get windows back and you can format that drive your building with.
HTH
lynch

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
Originally posted by darkelf_18:
Yes Lynch, I am building a new system for my father, and I can't get linux to work very well, so I decided that since the Linux drive is smaller and doesn't get very much use. I'd just give him that drive.
And LwdSquashman, why did you tell me what I already knew, instead of how to fix the problem???
You didn't say you already knew that. I'm sorry I forgot to mention fixing the mbr. I guess I figured you would know how to fix the mbr. Anytime you put linux on a drive and want to go back to windows on it, you will need to fdisk /mbr. It's definitely a learning experience. In the past, whenever I built a system with Multiple Operating Systems on it, I would use System Commander as my boot manager. There is a really nice free one out there called XOSL. But I have no need to do that anymore. I have a separate machine for each Operating system.

I have always suggested to people that if they dont want to screw around with dual booting that they should buy a Hard Drive Switcher or build there own.

Here is an article by Kevin Rose of TechTv on how to do just that.
http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/howto/story/0,24330,3425846,00.html

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
Wait a minute. Windows XP. Wont he need to boot into the Recoverey console and repair the Boot loader from there.

I think the Squashman is right -- you'll have to use the recovery console and the "fixmbr" command, if memory serves. That should restore the boot record to the XP default.

Hope this helps.

Nah,the win98 bootdisk-fdisk/mbr method will work.
Check out the 1st link in my sig;)
lynch

darkelf_18

Hey guys, thanks for you help so far. But I don't know how to make a Win98 boot disk without having the Win98 OS installed. So if you can tell me how I'm supposed to do it, that would be great.

Go here and download the Win98 OEM bootdisk. Double-Click on it to create the bootdisk.
The method that LWSquashman and Codejockey mention will work too.Take your pick.:)
HTH
lynch

I seem to recall an option in XP:
Insert a blank floppy and go to my computer and r-click the floppy icon;there should be an option to make an MS-Dos bootdisk.
Now,it may be that it only puts the 3 basic system files on it.You'd have to experiment:D
lynch

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online