1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I'm having trouble with my microphone usage.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gromgore246, May 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gromgore246

gromgore246 Thread Starter

Okay, I'm at the end of my rope so prepare for a bit of a wall of text.

I was experiencing an odd issue where I could not speak while playing one of my multiplayer video games (Overwatch), nor could I hear anyone else speaking. I could see their talk icons appearing but could not hear a thing. I later learned that this was not isolated to just that game and that the problem also affected programs like Skype, Ventrilo and even basic Mic Test websites. Upon looking up my devices I saw that Windows recognized my two microphones, one a USB and the other a regular audio jack headset, were plugged in and set to their respective default applications.

I've updated the drivers, rolled back the drivers, deleted and reinstalled the drivers for any and all relevant programs. I plugged my USB Mic into several different USB slots to no avail. I've looked into the audio settings for my mics and ensured that they are not muted. I plugged both Mics into a different computer and they work fine. I've gone through every possible trouble shooting there is.

It was only later that I tried calling some form of tech support. The gentleman in question said that he identified the problem as being driver related and for a small one time fee of over 200 dollars could fix it right up. As politely as I could, I declined. A friend sent me here and I'm very much in the "Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope." phase here because I don't want to go playing around with my drivers and possibly make it worse.

Thank you for your time.

2. lynx1021

lynx1021

Please provide as much detail about your computer as possible.
    Need to know the, Operating system, motherboard , is it a manufactured computer (like dell) or custom build ; ie exact MB, exact CPU, exact GPU, Monitor cable, exact ram, exact pw supply, etc. Do not post 16gig of ram; post the exact brand and mode/part# do that for ALL of your parts It is recommended that you download and run the http://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe and include the log produced in your post.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1210590

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice