1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I'm hoping someone can mak sense of this off XP error message

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ad3n, Jan 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ad3n

ad3n Thread Starter

I just did a fresh install of XP SP2 on my computer today (a CD I integrated myself that I didn't have problems with last time I installed it) and it's restarted twice now about 30-1min after booting up. I have been installing other programs and whatnot (all previously used, like the XP, were used with no problems previously) but if it was going to restart due to the various installs, it'd give me some warning I'd imagine.

Regardless, this error message just came up for me. I'm wondering if anyone can figure it out. I'm honestly questioning if my 160gb WD HDD is about to kick the bucket on me and I backed everything up JUST in time.

Attached Files:

2. Swiper

Swiper

Would be better to either go into event viewer (right click my computer icon, choose manage )

or........
    get the information from the Blue Screen error that pops up

3. ad3n

ad3n Thread Starter

I haven't had a blue screen of death yet.

Event Viewer's report:

Attached Files:

4. Swiper

Swiper

5. ad3n

ad3n Thread Starter

I have a Radeon X800 XL

6. ad3n

ad3n Thread Starter

Aaand like clockwork, I just got a blue screen of death (attached below). I had my computer on for a few minutes and just opened the DVD-RW drive to put a CD in when the screen came up. I rebooted and all appears fine, but it's obviously just waiting for another go at me.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0x0000005, 0xA7F2AA50, 0xF7C79BE8, 0xF7C798E4)

*** HTTP.sys - Address A7F2AA50 base at A7F19000, DateStamp 41107b69

Beginning dump of physical memory
    Physical memory dump complete.

Attached Files:

7. ad3n

ad3n Thread Starter

I'm still having quite a difficult time with this. I've probably gotten the blue screen at least 10 times by now, all being the same as the previous one posted. After some of them, it'll give me boot disk failures and errors reading the OS. After unplugging the drive and replugging, it works like normal :-/ . In the past week and a half, I've done a complete new install of everything from a fulled formatted HD about 3 times now.

While it does appear semi random, I only recall it happening within the first couple of minutes that the computer had been on (desktop, not powered on in general). I believe that it may be caused when I attempt to affect programs while things are still 'warming up', meaning, if I'm planning on just watching or playing something on my computer, I'll turn off the anti-virus programs that begin on startup to conserve resources. I wonder if it may be due to some type of overloading.

My specs (if needed):
    ASUS A7V600
    Radeon X800 XL
    AMD Athlon 3000+ (Barton Core)
    2x 160gb Western Digital HDDs
    1gb DDR RAM (PC3200)
    OCZ 520W PowerStream PSU
    7 fans (So I highly doubt overheating, especially since I'm not overclocking, but who knows)
    SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 audio card
    LG 16x SuperMulti DVD+/-R/RW

The video card, PSU, CPU, and one of the HDDs are only just over 6months old, I think. I've run MemTest86 for approx 8 hours, and it didn't show any errors with the RAM. Since I did so many clean installs, I'm leading more towards hardware problem, but I have no clue. I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this for me, because it's reeeeally annoying and dangerous since I'm in the middle of my semester and school work needs to be saved/done.

Thanks.

8. rainforest123

rainforest123

Generally, if a problem persists after re-format, re-install, the problem is:
    hardware; defective installation disk; corrupt bios.

Have you run diags on the HDD? WD has diags available for download from their site.

You have been struggling with this problem for > a week. You may want to punt, re-format, install Windows from the non-slipstream CD, use the PC as best you can for a day or 2; then install a program, use it for a day or 2; install another program. Tedious but probably effective.

Best of success.

B123

9. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Look closely at the large capacitors around the CPU.

If any are bulging or leaking, you have found the cause.

Those errors are typical (but not exclusive to) the bad capacitor problem.

10. ad3n

ad3n Thread Starter

I ran the Extended Test on my HDD with Western Digital's Data Lifeguard, and it passed.

As for the capacitors, I couldn't see anything out of the ordinary with them, they all seemed to be fine. Although, I found a site with the symptoms of having bad capacitors and it does sound quite a bit like what I'm going through.

It's just weird that this problem ONLY seems to happen soon after starting up. If it's been on for more than like 10 minutes, I never have to worry about it happening (knock on wood).

Any other ideas?

11. rainforest123

rainforest123

Problems that occur when the computer is "cold" are usually related to electronics.

You might want to move this problem to the hardware area.

rainforest123

12. ad3n

ad3n Thread Starter

Could a mod transfer this topic over to that board, please? I'd rather have this topic as one whole thread, rather than starting a new one there and just linking it.

Thanks in advance.

13. rainforest123

rainforest123

At google & yahoo, I entered: "http.sys" stop 0x0000007e

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q="http.sys"+stop+0x0000007e&btnG=Search

Are you using a 64 bit CPU?

You hve already listed your video card, "I have a Radeon X800 XL"

Please list:
    Motherboard ________________
    Sound card__________________
    Modem ____________________
    Network Card _______________
    other PCI cards
    optical drive - brand & model _______________________
    floppy drive - brand & model _______________________
    hard disk drive - brand & model _______________________

other hardware inside the PC

mouse - brand & model _______________________
    Keyboard - brand & model _______________________

If you have a scanner, printer, camera, USB "jump" drive, or other device connected externally [ a peripheral ], use your computer without these devices connected.

Also run chkdsk
    open "my computer"
    right click your "C" drive
    left click "properties"
    left click "tools" tab
    left click "error checking" button
    put checks in each of the boxes
    click "yes"
    click "ok"
    close "my computer"
    backup your data
    re-start your computer.
    Error checking will take 30 to 90+ minutes.

RF123

14. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You need to figure out what is using http.sys

This might be antivirus software, web accelerators, server applications.

Do you get that error offline?

Possibly a hotfix might be relevant, but the STOP error is slightly different:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/887742

Try running Merijn's new Startuplist. Once it has run and you have create a text file for the log, select Edit > Find and enter http.sys to see where it is running

http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item3

15. rainforest123

rainforest123

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!