1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I'm locked out of Bios on my Thinkpad T40p

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ralph07, May 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ralph07

Ralph07 Thread Starter

Hi. I have an Ibm thinkpad t40p which I havent used in over an year.
    When I turned it on, I noticed that it freezes on the IBM splash screen for about 20 secs, after that I get the error messages
    0721 check date and time settings, 0176 system has been tampered with. I'm then am prompted to enter the power on password.
    I enter the correct password which I've always used, but still cannot get it to boot.
    I've also tried to access the bios setup utility, but when I press F1 button, I'm taken back the error message.
    After some research I got a new cmos battery, but the same problem persists.
    I've also noticed the fan runs louder than usual. would appreciate any help. Thanks.

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I had an IBM Think Pad years ago. What you described are the same symptoms I had when the CMOS battery went dead. I replaced the CMOS Battery, but was still locked out. I had to send it to the factory to have the Administrator Password turned off. I had never set a password but when the CMOS Battery Went dead it set a default password that I didn't get with the computer when I bought it.

3. Ralph07

Ralph07 Thread Starter

I guess am out of luck on this one. I got it 5yrs ago, it's out of warranty by now. Replacing the motherboard would then seem to be the only solution for me.
    It would have been fair them to include possible risks to customers in purchasing their products, for us to make informed decisions. Such a small component would cost someone so much.
    I appreciate taking the time help.Thanks.

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    It may not be the same as was with mined, mine happened about8 or 9 years ago. So if yours is only 5 years old they may have done things different. You could try taking it to a shop for diagnosis, but that too costs money. And if parts are needed they may be hard to come by.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148448

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice