1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I'm not getting any resolution options in any games - PLEASE HELP!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sincere1984, Apr 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sincere1984

Sincere1984 Thread Starter

Good afternoon people,

I really hope someone can help me out on this. I've recently upgraded from Windows XP to Vista, woohooo, or so i thought. Since the upgrade none of the games i install and play will let me choose a screen resolution. I can change the desktop resolution, no problem, however games won't even list resolutions or refresh rates. I can still play the games, and i gather i'm playing them at the same resolution as the desktop. This wouldn't be such a problem if i wasn't using a normal CRT TV as a monitor. Because i'm using this TV i can only make out text if games are set to a lower resolution.:mad:

I hope i'm making sense so far!!

Before Vista, XP would work fine with games. My PC spec is:

Pentium 4 HT 3.2Ghz
    2GB RAM
    ATi Radeon X1950XT 512MB
    250GB SATA, 160GB IDE + 500GB External USB
    Sound Blaster X-Fi
    Oh and that daft TV (I know i should invest in a nice HD LCD TV, i will soon enough)

I've tried a number of things, uninstalled and re-install my GFX card, downloaded the latest Vista updates including SP1, updated Catalyst but nothing changes. I'm guessing it could have something to do with Vista not detecting the TV as a mointor or something but there's no way to find out as i don't have a spare monitor to check it out on, not one with a DVI port on it anyway.

Like i said this is happening in all games i play. Computer will play them but no resolution or refresh rate options. If it was just one game i'd probably just amend config settings for that game but as it's all of them......

I'd appreciate all the help I can get, and give thanks in advance!!:D

2. Megabite

Megabite

When you say upgrade to Vista does that mean you left XP on and went over the top......

If so try uninstalling one game and reinstalling it and see what the result it.

3. Sincere1984

Thanks for such a prompt reply Megabite!!

Yes i must admit, i did it the lazy way and just upgraded from XP to Vista, over the top! However i get this problem even when i install a game for the first time. I have tried un-installing all games and seeing if that made a diff but it didn't. I have been playing with this problem since i first switched to Vista, but i've just got Hellgate London and i can't see the text on screen due to the resolution.

I've been thinking of doing a completely fresh install of Vista, but i wanted to find out if anyone else was having this problem first, i don't want to go through the hassle of re-installing Vista for it not to make a difference.

Thanks again!

4. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

Probably a silly question, but did you upgrade graphics drivers to Vista issue? I know its a bit simple, byt sometimes its just to easy to forget :)

5. Sincere1984

WOW, check out the spec on that machine of yours!!!!

Yep, that was the first thing i did. I know what you mean tho, it's dead easy to forget those things.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702297

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice