1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I'm not impressed with the performance of new PC's -- What's up?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Alex Ethridge, Jan 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

I service newer and older computers every day and I can say without reservation that I am not impressed with the lack of performance gains in business systems in the last few years.

I see almost zero difference in the performance of my own socket-478, 3-GHz systems and some of the latest systems I service that are greatly overbuilt, over-powered systems when used primarily for business applications.

In contrast, it seemed performance gains being introduced 10 or so years ago were noticable in the extreme.

What the "H" is going on with PC development?

I feel I'm doing my customers a service when I advise them to buy and older computer for $100 or so (or a newly built one with older technology) and save their money, that buying a new one instead will only result in a lower bottom line and no perceptible gain in productivity.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    It can be like that - if you have good spec PC running XP - problem willl be when you need a later OS to run programs and stay compatible with new hardware - so you do end up having to upgrade eventually

3. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

Seems like the hardware gets more capable and then along comes Microsoft and makes bloatware to bog it down. Or is it the other way around?

Anyway, there is no gain, just change for the sake of change.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    I would agree - saw that cycle a while back - also helps sell hardware
    i used to run access databases and all sorts of analysis - with 40MB of memory now i have a laptop with 4000MB (4GB)

5. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

The only thing I need more, MOre, MORE for is gaming and video processing (and to a lesser degree, audio processing), and if I were into running a bunch of VMs at the same time, I'd need more RAM than a 32-bit system could use. Other than that, my socket 939s (Athlon +4000s mostly) are every bit as capable, and I bet if I added a fast SSD to one of the older systems it would be amazing!

Since business applications are decidedly light on gaming and video processing most of the time, I would agree with the premise of this thread whole-heartedly. :D

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I would not really say there is little or no improvement. I use an old pentiumD 940 dual core for my server running win2k. The difference between that system and my personal amd quad core overclocked to 4gig is like night and day. The amd boots win7 in 12 seconds after post; about 20 seconds from pushing the pw button. The old pentiumD takes about 75 seconds to display a desktop from pw ON; quite a difference.

The difference in running basic apps like office is not really noticeable however when running a game like ut3, again night and day.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976615

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice