1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I'm Not Sure I am in the right place but I need help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by m23moran, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. m23moran

m23moran Thread Starter

Hi and again I am sorry for posting this in the wrong place I am a new member. I have this computer, and use it mainly for my boys schooling. I bought this computer from a pawn shop 2 years ago, and everything was working great. I am not sure of the make as it is a customized computer, I do know that I have windows XP. I turned my computer on and noticed that the speakers are not working, so I have searched on line to find answers, and no one was able to help me yet. I would go to control pannel, go to my sounds devices, and it reads "no aduio device" I am not sure what is wrong but I belive I have tried almost everything in the world to get it fixed. Please help me.

Thanks
    M23moran

2. arknorth

arknorth

Does the speakers plug into a jack that's attached to the motherboard, or is there a sound card on the computer?

Have you checked your device manager? In the start menu, find the My Computer tag and RIGHT CLICK on it. A small window will open with a number of choices - left click on Properties.

When the Properties window opens, click on the Hardware Tag (while you're there, the Properties window will tell you just what your system has, so you might want to jot down these specs). In the Hardware window, choose the Device Manager button - a new window will open showing all the goodies that are inside your machine. See if any have a yellow yield sign with a ! in it - If there are any, these devices are in need of drivers or other help.

Find the one marked Sound if you do NOT have an audio card. If you do have an audio card, find the one marked Sound Card. Click on the + to see what you have. If you open this subfile and find the yellow ! sign, you've found your problem. If you don't, and have a Sound Card, click on it to open it's window to see if it has been disabled.

Let us know how far you've gotten.

A-N

3. m23moran

m23moran Thread Starter

Thanks for replying,
    The speakers is pluged in to the back of the pc, I dont belive there is a sound card.

Here are some of the spec you may need (If I joted down the right thing)
    Microsoft WinXp
    Professional
    Version 2002
    Service Pack 2
    Inter (r)
    Pentium4
    CPU 3.00GHZ
    2.99 GHZ, 448 MB or Ram

I only found 2 things with the yellow yeild sign, under the Other Device tab thingee, 1 is PCI Modem, and the 2nd is Video controller

I did find the Sound, video, and game controller tab, and there was no ! sign.

Please help, dont give up on me yet! LOL

4. Hughv

Hughv

If you have a speaker plug, you have a sound card.
    We need to know what audio device you have to install the drivers.
    It sounds as though you need drivers for the modem and video as well.
    Download and install Everest and let us know what the hardware is:
    http://www.download.com/Everest-Ultimate-Edition/3000-2086_4-10499291.html
    Let us know the motherboard make and model also.

5. m23moran

m23moran Thread Starter

I have download the link and installed it, and it shows the mother board to be ASUSTECK / ASUS P4R800-VM

6. nessyguin

nessyguin

7. m23moran

m23moran Thread Starter

One more question, when I tried to download the audio it read
    "The file server for the file you selected is busy right now. Please Download it via other servers"

*what does that mean?

8. m23moran

m23moran Thread Starter

I have downloaded soundmax, how to I get it to the sound in control pannel? I think we just about have it done now. Thanks again for your help.

9. nessyguin

nessyguin

Did you save the file to your computer ? You should be able to double-click on it and run setup.exe from the list of files contained in the .zip you downloaded .

10. nessyguin

nessyguin

You might also want to revisit that link and under Others get the latest chipset all-in-one driver (version 7.991) . Again , you'll be looking to run setup.exe that is contained in the downloaded archive .

11. m23moran

m23moran Thread Starter

I couldn't save it to the computer, It read "You can not save in the folder you specified. Choose another location For both, Also it is a WinZip?

12. nessyguin

nessyguin

yep , they are zip archives . I dont know where you were saving them to but it's an unusual message to hear of . Try saving to desktop ...

13. nessyguin

nessyguin

Ah right , I'm a bit slow on the uptake tonight ! My apologies . You cant save to 'My Computer' as that's just a generic Windows thing for displaying storage devices . In the 'Save' dialogue you want to point the download to a 'real' folder or location .

14. m23moran

m23moran Thread Starter

I was able to down load it into "My documents" I am installing it now, any recomendations or steps I should do? How would I get it to be set up in my sound device, or be able to choose it as my default? (If that makes sense)

15. nessyguin

nessyguin

It makes sense , my friend . However you need not worry about defaults . As long as you get the installer(s) to run no further input is required . They will sort themselves out once you get setup running . You'll probably need to restart yor computer after installing the drivers so just post back here if anything is still not as it should be .

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753055

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice