1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I'm not THAT much of a beginner

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bassin1202, Jan 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bassin1202

bassin1202 Thread Starter

Hello,
    I am brand new to this site but I am somewhat familiar to the way things work on help sites such as this one. With that being said I haven't really messed with my pc for almost 3 years now, so I labeled myself a beginner because I can't quite remember all of the specifics on how to use the cleaning software or what software to use for that matter. At the moment I was trying to backup all of my pictures and documents to a disc (prior to asking for help) but the disc door wont open when I push the button so I went looking for the disc drive within the computer and all I see is the C: drive and The D: drive (recovery) and absolutely nothing else. I don't really think that I've forgotten how or where to look for it. But maybe, just maybe I am a little nutty. Someone please tell me... am I losing my mind? Or is it possible that the cd/rom drive died and the computer is just not seeing it anymore?

Thank you for any and all input on this seemingly silly matter.
    Shannon

I should probably include my pc's specs

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Basic, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) D CPU 3.33GHz, x64 Family 15 Model 6 Stepping 5
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 2037 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family, 224 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 105763 MB, Free - 50806 MB; D: Total - 8707 MB, Free - 3758 MB;
    Motherboard: Intel Corporation, D945GCL
    Antivirus: Avira Desktop, Updated and Enabled

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    You would probably be looking for E: drive, and it is not uncommon for Optical Drives to Fail. If you look in device Manager, and it is not listed, it may have become disconnected, or Failed completely. If it does not show in Device Manager, you should open the computer case, unplug the power lead and data lead and reconnect them. Also Disconnect the data lead at the Motherboard end and reconnect it.

3. bassin1202

thank you I'll try those things and come back

4. bassin1202

I think it failed completely. I've looked in device manager and I don't see it there and I've also opened the tower and done as advised and still nothing. I don't have to have one for what I am trying to do but I would like to replace it soon. Are they pretty much universal? or would I need to hunt down a specific one for my computer?

thank you again for your help
    Shannon

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    It will either be an IDE connected drive or a Sata connected drive. That is really the only thing to determine. You will want probably a DVD rewriteable that will let you read DVD's and cd's it will also allow you to create them.

6. bassin1202

thank you for all of your help dustyjay. on to the security forum i go lol

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Here are examples of what IDE and SATA disc drives and their connectors look like.

The ribbon cable is for IDE drives.

Attached Files:

8. bassin1202

Thank you. Now I know for sure I need an IDE drive.
    Much appreciated

9. kingknightrider

kingknightrider

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

According to the spec sheet for that board, you have 4 sata ports. I would just get a sata dvd writer and install it. Do check that your pw supply has sata pw connectors or you might need an adapter.
    This one comes out to $16 or so after the promo code;
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151269

If your pw supply does not have sata connectors, you need an adapter like this one;
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...61&cm_re=molex_to_sata-_-12-200-061-_-Product

If you have a computer shop near you, they might even just give you an adapter. I must have 100s of those sitting here.

11. bassin1202

Thank you both I'll be looking into your suggestions.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!