1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I'm not the original owner so Dell will sell me nothing for this computer.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Alex Ethridge, Feb 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

It's a Dell XPS 400. I want a copy of the original software in preparation for possible future needs. Dell says they won't sell me replacement disks unless I can provide them with an original order number, original customer number and maybe even convince them I am the original purchaser. The service tag alone is not enough. *

I would use a generic Dell-branded Windows XP installation disk; but, this is 64-bit Windows and there aren't drivers on Dell's site for anything but 64-bit--and I don't have a Dell-branded 64-bit XP. For those who don't know, a Dell-branded copy of Windows XP will install and run on any Dell system. That may be the case with Dell-branded 64-bit Windows XP also; but, I don't have a Dell-branded copy of 64-bit Windows XP.

I've imaged the drive; but, having the original stuff would be preferred.

Does anyone know of a way to get Dell to sell me this software or of any place else I could get a Dell-branded copy of 64-bit Windows XP?

* Someone brought me this computer for data recovery a year ago and won't come back and get it.

2. DCM1519

DCM1519

I never owned a Dell for similar reasons but was wondering if you could not just reformat the drive and use a regular version of Windows to install.

Might even be a good time to update to Vista if you have to buy a complete copy.

3. Alex Ethridge

I guess most consider a change to Vista an upgrade; I don't. I've seen it, used it, had to troubleshoot it a couple of times and read what many experts have to say about it, and I have formed a solid opinion it is simply a change, not an upgrade.

As stated in my original post:
    Even if I wanted to go to standard XP, finding drivers would be difficult to impossible.

What would be great is if someone would bring me another Dell with 64-bit Windows to work on. I'd copy his disk and all would be well. But, in all time 64-bit has been out, this is the first one I've gotten in here so chances of it happening again are slim to none.

4. lefty1953

lefty1953

Or just buy the Upgrade to Vista and that way you have a disk backup. As for Dell, if you have the original owners name then maybe you could convince Dell you bought it from them. Doesn't that Dell have a Partition on the HD with the recovery software? It would be in another Partition.

5. Alex Ethridge

There are two other partitiuons on the disk; but, they are 55 Megs and 7.5 Megs. I don't know what's in them; but, it isn't enough for recovery software.

I certainly DON'T want Vista on it AND there are no drivers on Dell's site for Vista, only XP 64-bit so it's 64-bit XP or nothing.

I need more than just the owner's name to convince them to sell me the software. See post #1, paragraph 1.

As for Vista as an upgrade, I've been hearing rumors that a complete functioning installation of XP is required before Vista's upgrade will install. It will no longer accept a simple inserting of the previous XP CD.

Please, let's not waste any more time with the subject of Vista. I'll run it when all other versions of Windows have been removed from the planet. Well . . ., maybe I would prefer Vista to 3.1 and '95. According to all the independent experts I've read over the last year, the only reason to have Vista is if you get it on a new system. They say there is no reason to upgrade--and my small experience so far supports that.

6. cmw2010

cmw2010

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Why not just use a regular 64bit version of xp pro? 64bit xp pro
    BTW I have been using vista for about 3 months and really like it; much better than xp [IMO]

8. Alex Ethridge

crjdriver,

A license has already been issued for 64-bit Windows on this machine. I don't much care for throwing another $100 or so out the window. Replacement disks shouldn't cost more than about $25, including shipping--if we can get them.

cmw2010,

How long has it been since you did that? The reason I ask is that new (HCFA) federal privacy laws have come into enforcement in the last year or two. Those laws have been on the books longer than they have been enforced; but, they are being tightened up and expanded to new areas more and more in recent months.

I went to the bank a few days ago and deposited a couple of thousand dollars into my account, about half in cash and the rest in checks. They made me show them ID before they would allow me to know my balance. Really! Now would I be putting a thousand in cash into an account just to get someone's balance?

Here's the e-mail I got back from Dell a couple of days ago--and please note that I did furnish the service tag and that should be all I need to buy a part. I mean, it's not like I'm trying to access their Dell charge account:

Dear xxxxxx,

Thank you for contacting Dell Online Customer Care.

I understand from your e-mail that, you would like to replacement CDs for your system.

I will be glad to assist you; however, I am unable to locate your account with the information that was provided. Please provide the following information for the account you are referring to, for verification purpose, so that I can setup a service. I would also request you to please provide the accurate information which you have mentioned it at the time of placing the order.

1:- Customer number
    2:- Order number
    3:- Reference number
    4:- Service tag number: It is a 5 or 7-digit alphanumeric code located on the back, bottom or right side of the system unit on a bar-coded tag (ex. ABC12 or A1B2C3D)
    5:- Express service code number
    6:- Full name
    7:- Phone number
    8:- Address as listed on account

Please make sure that the information should match our records. I assure you that I shall take the initiative to resolve this issue as soon as I receive the above information.

Please understand that we must verify this information to ensure that no unauthorized party may obtain information about your account. Dell strives to provide convenient online services to our customers, while at the same time offering the utmost protection for our customers and their information.

To read more about Dell's privacy policies, please visit the following link:

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/policy/en/policy

I appreciate your time, patience and understanding in this regard. Please e-mail me the requested information and I will be glad to assist you.

I apologize that I have not been able to assist you in a more direct manner and sincerely regret the inconvenience.

We appreciate your patience and apologize for any inconvenience.

We immensely value our relationship and consider it a privilege to serve you. We value you as a customer and your satisfaction is our highest priority.

If you require further assistance, please feel free to visit our website at:

http://support.dell.com

Thank you, again for contacting Dell Online Customer Care.

Respectfully,

Preeti Sharma
    Rep ID: 499980
    Time: .08.30 hrs to 16.30 hrs CST
    Dell Online Customer Care
    http://support.dell.com

When responding to me, please use the *REPLY* function of your e-mail program. This will keep the SAME SUBJECT LINE of our e-mail. Otherwise your message may be delayed or lost.

9. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Do you know at least the name of the original owner? I recently helped a friend with a Compaq laptop that had a broken power input connector. I just called HP and told them the serial number and that I am repairing a laptop for 'Jane Doe'. They brought a new MOBO to my house and installed it (under warranty). No hassles. I wonder what Dell's problem is?

10. xtreampb

xtreampb

i dont like dell for this specfic resson. I would just buy a copy of windows XP whatever and install it. good luck getting anything from dell.

and for this vista argument i am going to wait for the next service pack b4 i get it so that they can get rid of all of the gaps and bugs

11. Alex Ethridge

I do too. I ordered a replacement main board for another Dell about six months ago. When they discovered I wasn't the original owner, they would not allow me to order the part until they got the original owner on a three-way call and talked to him. This was NOT an in-warranty part; we were paying over $200 for this twenty-six-month-old board.

A few months before that, I ordered a power supply for another Dell. In that case, I happened to have all the paper work and fooled them into believing I was the original owner. They even questioned the change of e-mail address, street address and phone number. I had to explain to the suspicious Indian that when people move, they get a new phone number.

As for the original owner's name, I can assume only that since it is so new, the person who brought it to me is the original owner; but, it is possible it was gifted to this person from another person who could be the registered owner. I haven't gotten that far with them in this inquiry because I don't want to alert them any further; it might make them suspicious and then more difficult to fool them.

12. Alex Ethridge

cmw2010,
    I read your referenced thread and sent Neil an e-mail just now--copied below. We'll see what his response is.

I need replacement CDs for this Dell Svc Tag xxxxxxx and Dell is not helping me.

I ran across this thread that you replied to last month:
    http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-xp/538106-restoring-dell-2400-factory-settings.html

I have the same problem. I am not the original owner. All I know about the original owner is the name may have been xxxxxx. The computer runs fine; but, I would like to have replacement software CDs in the event they are ever needed (disk failure, etc.).

Dell has on several occasions in the past refused to sell parts such as a main board and power supply without first talking to the original owner. I do not understand such a policy.

The person I chatted with, Preeti Sharma, Rep ID: 499980, Dell Online Customer Care, was given the service tag but responded he wants the following:
    1:- Customer number
    2:- Order number
    3:- Reference number
    4:- Service tag number: xxxxxxx
    5:- Express service code number
    6:- Full name
    7:- Phone number
    8:- Address as listed on account

I'm not attempting to use anyone's account; I just want to buy a part. The only CDs I want are the OS and drivers--nothing else.

13. xtreampb

xtreampb

have you tried buy software and say that this is not for a specfic computer just to buy it

14. cmw2010

cmw2010

I think the last time that I had to buy Dell CD's was probably two years ago, man time flies when you are getting older! Come to think of it ,I just bought a replacement harddrive through Dell around Christmas for a computer that was not mine, all I had was the Service tag and the owners name. Also this past summer I purchased a replacement heatsink through Dell, also not mine, I don't even remember them asking the owners name on that one. All of these were purchased through Dell support chat. I know if you get the wrong support tech they will give you a hard time, but also when you get a good one they will really help. Good luck with Neil, he at least sounded sincere.

15. Alex Ethridge

xtreampb,

Just buy it? I don't understand the suggestion. I might as well take two hundred dollars out of my pocket and make a small fire.

The whole point of this thread is to not have to pay again for something that has already been paid for.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/547491

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice