1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

im planning to buy a computer but..

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by filip1noy, Sep 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. filip1noy

filip1noy Thread Starter

im planning to buy a computer for under 500 at cyberpowersystem.com but the only problem is that i won't be havin a video card because if i add one the price will turn out to be 530 dollars or something and i have a old graphics card the 32mb nvidia geforce graphics in my dads computer i then replaced it with a better card a ati 9600. Now since i dun have graphics card in my new system would be to install my old graphics card which is the 32mb nvidia geforce without any installation cd's???? :(

oh and here are the specs for the pc im gonna buy from cyberpowersystem

ATOP ATX833-BLACK CASE 350 WATT W/ SIDE-PANEL WINDOW
    AMD Athlon XP-2400+ Processor
    ASUS A7N8X-X nVidia nForce-2 400 FSB 8X AGP w/ USB2.0, LAN, &; AUDIO
    512 MB (256MBx2) PC3200 400MHz Dual Channel DDR MEMORY
    80GB 7200 RPM ATA 100 HARD DRIVE
    NONE-no video card planning to use my old card if possible??
    16X DVD ROM
    (Special Price)NU DDW-081 8X DVD+R/+RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE
    3D WAVE ON-BOARD 5.1 SOUND CARD

what do u guys think sounds pretty good for a pc desktop under 500 rye??? :eek:

2. dannyboyfx

dannyboyfx

the one i bought was actually plug and play under windows XP. You may want internet access to download the drivers and such. but is should work out pretty well.

3. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

This should have been posted in the hardware thread... But, IMO I would get these specs using the standard Athlon configurator.

(NEW !!!) TURBO X-INFINITY Case 420W W/ WINDOW & LCD Temperature Display "Black"
    STANDARD CASE POWER SUPPLY (I have the same PS and it's very stable on the rails, and pretty heavy)
    AMD Athlon XP-2500+ Processor (512K L2 CACHE) (it'll be the 333FSB on which can run at 400FSB)
    Abit NF7 nForce2 ULTRA Chipset 400 FSB AGP 8X w/ LAN, USB2.0, & Audio (pretty good board)
    512 MB PC3200 400MHz DDR MEMORY (GEIL VALUE RAM) (runs at 400mhz, nough said)
    120GB 7200 RPM ATA 100 HARD DRIVE (only $16 more, go for it)
    (Special Price)NU DDW-081 8X DVD+R/+RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE
    $465.00

I don't think your old video card will work on the new board though. Most likely it's the wrong voltage, you'll need a 8X AGP card.. Just to be sure, get the nVIDIA GeForce-4 MX-4000 64MB AGP until you can get a better card. $499.00 (I know it's still a lousy card but it's much better than blowing out the AGP port trying to use the wrong voltage card.)

You might want to forgo the DVD-writer if you can find a old CD-rom around. The one on special only uses the "+" format disk. The "-" format works with more DVD players and the disk are normally a bit cheaper, so you might wish to get a dual format drive later on. If so, use the extra cash to pick up a decent video card now.

Also, plan on replacing the stock heatsink, it's lousy. I know.. Plus it's very loud..

I bought a Mad-DOG DVD-RW for $19 at officemax after rebate. It's still on sale. If that's any indication of the future, you'll see more DVD writers hitting the $20 range shortly.. There's also a MAD-DOG CDRW there for $5 after rebate..

4. filip1noy

filip1noy Thread Starter

gotrootdude 465 dollars u said but plus the shipping which would be like 530 dollars remember i can only get a pc thats under 500

5. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

I believe all their systems have "free shipping".. At least it looks that way..

Also, don't pick any on the so called "specials" page.. The "specials" are actually more expensive with the same configurations..

6. filip1noy

filip1noy Thread Starter

its not free shipping ahhh forget it the dvd burner i'll just save up money for that i'll check out pricewatch i know they have good deals on video cards and dvd burners

7. OCCDAVE

OCCDAVE

Why not buy one of those gateway computers for 399 my first computer was a gatway and i bought it back in 99 and it lasted pretty long up untill a few months ago so they pretty much give you all the bang for your buck for the 500 price

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269146

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice