1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I'm Ready To Burn On My Cd Maker,i Need A Hand

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by SHARON COVINGTON, Aug 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SHARON COVINGTON

SHARON COVINGTON Thread Starter

PUT IN MY FIRST PROGRAM AND FEELING DARN GOOD ABOUT MYSELF.BUT QUESTION..
    when I hook my tape player to computer it sounds like hell
    when I play back on recorder on computer system. I want to
    turn tape to cd. put in cd program,now want to take last step
    to freedom!!:DI'm quessing that since I can record from computer to tape with no problem there must be some kind of software to
    convert already..RIGHT??okay if I'm wrong(as usual:confused:
    then do I get cakewalk,etc to change analog to digital??
    this is getting expensive!!!!
    anybody want to exchange music royalties to do this project??
    :D :D :D :D "JUST KIDDING"

2. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

You could read up on this here.
    http://mmsound.about.com/library/weekly/aa102300a.htm

This isn't the easiest thing in the world to accomplish. It will also be very time consuming since the tape has to be played and recorded in real time. The quality will also not be nearly as good as an original CD.

I would only bother transferring the tapes that can't be purchased on CD, like a child's school play or something. You can purchase gently used CDs at places like www.half.com for less than $10.

3. SHARON COVINGTON

I wish it were for a simple project!!!But this is for CD'S I'm
    selling on the web for my MUSIC..all my originals are on tape,so I have to transfer them to cd..That is why it is so important.
    In fact I have 2000 song tracks of original music on tape that
    needs to be transfered.I was experimenting a little and found out
    that the volume on the tape is too loud, that is why it sounds
    so load.That is one of the problems that needs to be addressed.
    should I get a pre-amp to control volume or a studio program?

4. Paul Nagel

Paul Nagel

Read your post earlier and was not sure of what you wanted. Now that you have cleared it up, I think the following will help. What you are doing is similar to the transfer of LPs to CD or MP3s. You need the output of a preamp like the one built into the average home tunner/amp. The line out of the amp is of a very low voltage/wattage and thus sound better as it is not overdriving you computes input. Once you send the music to the compute, a program will be needed to convert it to digital, usually in the form of a WAV file. I have found the best method is to adjust the sound the way you want it, and then save everything to the computer hard disk. The do any converting from WAV to CDA(music cd format) or MP3s. When you have all songs set the way you want, you are ready to burn your CDs. When doing the burns, make sure all other programs are shut down to prevent making bad cds(coasters). Shut off any Screen Saver, Antivirus etc...

http://www.zdnet.com/zdhelp/stories/main/0,5594,2617351-1,00.html

5. SHARON COVINGTON

That's the procedure I've been staying up alnight trying!!!
    By george, that's it!!I thought that the output of the tape was distorting the sound.Everything else seems working like the
    wave files,etc.(I'm so sleepy:eek: )But that's it..I needed
    that.I can go to sleep in peace now.I was afraid to put
    my amp into the back but I'm take a chance!!
    I'm using mic,and two notes jacks in back..is this right?
    got 2 jacks into smaller jacks to fit the back.Am I using the
    right 3 inputs??

WE GONNA BE RICH,RICH I TELL YOU!!
    (and I'll donate a nice Sum to this web site..You deserve
    every penny)

6. Paul Nagel

Paul Nagel

Glad you got the final details worked out. Just two clarify something. Depending on you home amps particular outputs, the jacks marked AUX(auxilary) or TAPE will work for sending the tapes output to the computers Line In jack. Your comment about using MIC and 2 NOTES jacks-I think that the Line IN on the computer would be better that the MIC jack. I dont know what a NOTES jack is, never heard of it. Hope this helps.

7. SHARON COVINGTON

That's the problem..which is the computer input for the linein
    of the computer for tape player??There are on mine:
    1. mic input
    2. one speaker output(I use for headphones)
    3. two w/ musical notes w/ arrows pointing(mystery jack:D )

Now will somebody tell me where to stick this jack(hey I heard that:p )
    should I get a better sound card??
    HELP (I'm getting burntout here)It took 2nights to study new
    cd program

8. Paul Nagel

Paul Nagel

There are so many sound cards, i dont know where to start. On the newer one i have see lately, the symbols dont mean a thing to me, but are listed as follows;
    If the socket is represented by a O
    O (((-- = line out
    O --))) = line in
    Most sound cards have a Mic, Speaker Out, Line In and Line Out.
    I would guess that the mystery jacks are Line in and line out.
    If you have a patch cable that fits the myster jacks, turn down low the volume on the computer, plug in the cable and on the unpluged end touch the center connection. If it buzzes in the computer speakers, that is the line in. If not, it is most likely the line out.
    The home amp output, if not marked Aux out , i would use Tape out. The headphone output presents to much voltage for a clean input. It will most likely ovredrive the sound card amp and you will get distortion. You can try it, just make sure that all volumes are kept very low to start until you are sure of the level.

9. SHARON COVINGTON

Here is is how it is on the back exactly:
    on left side:top-mic in
    on left bottom:eek:ne speaker in(I use y cable to put 2 speakers in)
    Now on right
    on right top: musical note w/arrow pointing upward
    on right bottom:musical note w/arrow pointing down
    Now i think that arrow up and down are in/out
    (didnt stick my finger on it though:D )
    I put headphone in each one to fiqure which in/out
    now we are getting somewhere!!I put my stereo amp in
    and nothing happened in any jack!!amp may be too powerful!!
    put inall 5 jacks..nothing,so will get soundcard or studio/mix
    program to solve quality,eq.
    I WOULD LIKE TO PERSONALLY THANK EACH AND EVERYONE HERE FOR YOUR UNSELFISH CONTRIBUTIONS TO US NEWBIES...
    :p :p

10. Paul Nagel

Paul Nagel

Until you determine which input on the computer is Line In, the project is halted. You have to get the inputs/outputs sorted out to procede. Try the finger on the center connector-if wrong you hear nothing, if correct you hear a buzz in the speakers. Its not enough voltage(under 1 volt) to shock you.

1. What computer are you using, manufacture + model #.
    2. What are you using for a amplifier for the output to the computer. How old is it.
    3. Does the amp have an Aux or Tape out.

If the amp is not recent, it may not be work for the project and you may need to purchase a small pre-amp and dedicate it to the project.

11. SHARON COVINGTON

FIRST AMP WAS MY BEDROOM AMP OLDER MODEL BUT
    THE ONE I USE FOR PROJECTS IS JVS SYN. AMP VERY POWERUL!!
    COMPUTER COMPAQ . I FIQURED OUT IN/OUT .. I'LL TRY NEWER
    AMP BUT WAS SCARED IT WAS TOO POWERFUL!!100-150 W
    PER CHANNEL X 8 CHANNELS SURROUNDSOUND,PLUS SEPARATE
    EQ. TAPE IS TEC..
    MIGHT JUST GO TO RADIO SHACK GET SMALL PREAMP..

12. Paul Nagel

Paul Nagel

Dont bother with Radio Shack. I was in there is afternoon trying to buy couple of speakers. I asked about a preamp and they dont carry them anymore.
    The importance of using the correct output from the amp is precisely why you use an Aux or Tape out. They are low level outputs so as not to overload or burn out the inputs. If the output is enough to drive speakers, it is to much for an input.

13. SHARON COVINGTON

Hey ..
    By george it's done!! 3nights,50 Pepsi's,2pks.cig,and 20posts here..But it was as simple as getting a "wave" writing program:)
    sounds like a million bucks..now I can go back to a normal life
    because I wasnt giving in till I came to some resolution..
    SIGNING OFF AND GOODNIGHT:D
    (AND THE MOMMA BEAR SAID"SOMEBODIES BEEN SLEEPING IN
    MY BED,AND MOVE OVER!!)

14. Paul Nagel

Paul Nagel

Glad you are ready to go. Its nice when things finally work correctly.
    When you get the hang of mixing and coping the music from tape to the computer, post back. There are several things that need to be taken into consideration when you finally burn cds.

15. Paul Nagel

Paul Nagel

I intended to use Personal Messaging to send the following, but it seems to have a limit of 1000 characters. I originally had 3000+ and even with editing, i could not send it.

Sharon:

My experience in this area is in coping old LPs to my computer so i can have a more durable copy of irreplaceable records. I made backups of all my favorites in both CDA and MP3 formats. The CDAs are basically 1 ablum per CD and are for archive purposes. I also have some that i cant play anywhere in MP3 format. I can get about 60-75+ songs per cd with mp3(lower quality).
    The digital watermarks (fingerprints) are something relatively new to music. I know only what i have read and heard on the subject. It seems likely that it would only be really valuable to a larger company that could afford to take a pirate to court. It does not prevent coping, only shows that it is not an original. I have read lately of major music companies using encription on some recent cds to prevent copying. It is similar to what is used on DVDs and Video tapes. I dont know if it is affordable to a single musician or not.
    In my last post what i was refering to was the burning of CDs. Every time you go to burn a cd you need to make sure that all other programs are shut down including antivirus and screen savers. I usually go to ctrl+alt+del (which opens the program manager) and End Task all except Explorer, Systray and the program i use to burn the cd. When burning, dont do anything else on the computer. When you go to burn the cd, plan out the space remembering that not only is music recorded, but also file data to make a list of the cd's contents. I created a folder called Music and named subfolders for each cd. In each, i place the final version and the order in which i want to record. I am including a copy of the Q+A on CD size from my HP CDRW FAQ's.

From HP:
    How much information can I fit on one CD?
    A single session CD written with HP MyCD can hold 650 MB of data or 74 minutes of music. However, most of the time you will probably be writing multisession CDs. Multisession allows a CD to be recorded, removed, and read on a CD-ROM drive, and then recorded again at a later time. Each time you record a session, overhead is added to your data-about 46 MB of overhead for the first session and 14 MB of overhead for each session after that. Therefore, the total amount of data that you can fit on the CD will vary depending on how many sessions are written and how much data is in each session. So, when planning your work, try to write as much data in a session as you can.

If you are using DirectCD with a CD-Recordable disc and you choose to organize the disc so that it can be read in most standard CD-ROM drives, the same amount of overhead is added: 46 MB for the first session and 14 MB for the remaining sessions. Plus, some overhead is added for each file or group of files that you write at one time. Again, the total amount of data that you can fit on a CD varies. So, try to write as much data in a session as you can and try to write small files in groups instead of one at a time.

When you use DirectCD with a CD-ReWritable disc, the amount of data that can fit on the CD is always about 530 MB.

Just some more to think about.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/52104

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice