1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I'm ready to cry please help!!!

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by MissDaizy, Jan 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MissDaizy

MissDaizy Thread Starter

First I am not asking anything illegal.

I have a new laptop 9 days old. I decided the other day to get familiar with it, transfer files to it and etc. Well, the installed programs requested I enter the key code and I do not and did not get the disk for the programs - Microsoft Office Suite or Windows XP. I received the laptop from Gateway - they say it was in the box - I say it wasn't - what do I do???

I am so upset. I have torn my house apart and the boxes that the computer was delivered in was searched a thousand times over. I can't handle this - What can I do?

MissDaizy

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you probably dont have an XP CD - it may be called a gateway recovery or gateway system CD

have you found any CD's that came with the machine

3. MissDaizy

MissDaizy Thread Starter

Absolutely no CD's. I have one CD that came with the router in the router box. No CD's came in any box for the laptop. This is making me really sick to my stomach. Everyone tells me (friends and family) that I must have thrown it away, etc. but I have the boxes here in my living room since they arrived and did not throw even the package stuffings away. There simply is no CD. I looked under chairs I even went and stipped my home office to make sure, as someone suggested that I took the disk up there when I installed the router. This has been two days and nights searching for something I am sure if I saw it I would remember. I am well aware how important it is to keep these disks in a safe place. Thank you for helping me. By the way, reading the packing slip, it seems that a disk was listed (I cant understand the codes they used, but adding up the items received, it seems that it was listed as packed).

4. WarC

WarC

A lot of times, the Microsoft sticker and product key will be on the bottom of the laptop.

5. The Villan

The Villan

ASk them nicely if they can give you another CD with the codes. Offer to pay if necessary.

Are you still within your rights to send it back.

If you write to them explaining the issue, they must reply back and hopefully offer a solution. If they don't then go to the Ombusman.

6. The Villan

The Villan

Good point there WarC

7. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

Have you questioned the dog yet?

Seriously though, contact Gateway and explain the situation as previously recommended. They shouldn't have a problem sending you the recovery CD since that is what appears to be missing. If they don't agree just tell them you would like to send them back the laptop and you will dispute the charge if they won't let you.

Regards,
    Rollin

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    in the UK some companies offer you a return policy -
    some companies 28days
    some 14days

I purchased a laptop for my mother in law last month - and the company pointed out that they had a 14 day no quibble return policy - so I keep the laptop for the 1st 2 weeks and gave it a good test and made sure it worked OK before handong to my mother-inlaw

did anything like that apply to your purchase

9. PCG342

PCG342 Banned

You generally only have to pay shipping, and supply the service code [or something like that] which is found on a sticker somewhere on the computer... but go to their site and contact 'em.

10. MissDaizy

MissDaizy Thread Starter

Well, God Bless the night shift Supervisors - they are on the ball every time. I just finished my Gateway Customer Service call in.

Along with the missing Microsoft CD I was unaware that I was also missing several other items that came packaged in a sealed plastic bag. I read the numbers from the two bags that I had opened and saved and all the labels on the boxes to the Supv at Gateway. She determined that I did not receive the whole megillah!!!!!

She was wonderful and apologized that the earlier calls to customer service caused me such stress and that it could have been avoided.

She then called the tech dept while I was on the phone and she explained my situation - that I did not get all of my order The tech walked me through some very technical steps (to me they are technical) I had to allow him to get into my computer as well.

Temporarily, I have full use of my computer. When the Program disks arrive in overnight mail - along with the user manual, the easy start manual, and the System disk, I am to call them back and give my event # and they will walk me through doing whatever it is they need me to do.

What a stressful situation. I plan to snail mail a letter to Gateway letting them know I purchased 3 computers in one year, about the situation, the poor customer service and the Excellent Customer Service - I have all their names and numbers too.

Thank all of you for your support! I almost threw the computer out the window before I ever got to use it!!!!

MissDaizy

11. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

Microsoft Windows should will give you plenty of opportunities to feel this way in the near future :D

Regards,
    Rollin

12. MissDaizy

MissDaizy Thread Starter

Happy today!!!:D

13. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    if you make a note of the time you called - from phone bill etc - they can also listen to the call
    I did this with sim4travel when i had augments with the call centree on advice given and a supervisor listened to the records and gave me an apology and full refund - £30
    paid off because i have used them again

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!