1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I'm Scared I already know the answer!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lavenderboi, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lavenderboi

lavenderboi Thread Starter

I have a Sony Vaio model VGC-RA820G. :( I wanted to upgrade my video card and purchased the GeForce 8800GTS.:D My current power supply, did not meet the requirements needed for the 8800 so it needed to be upgraded. Unfortunately, the power supply is proprietary, so no aftermarket units will work in my system.:( I then called Sony's part department (3 times to ensure I was getting correct information), and they said that Sony never made any other power supply's for my model.:eek: In other words, my $400 Video card cannot be used in my computer, period. :mad: My question is this. First off, do they make external power supply's that would "boost" my current power supply?:confused: One of the guys at Best Buy's "Geek Squad" said that I could buy one from Ebay, but to honest, I'm not sure that they even exist. My other question is, if I were to buy a different tower, is there a good chance that most of my current internal components would NOT fit?:confused: Because I'm sure that the power supply is not the only thing "proprietary" in my system. I'm grasping for straws at this point,:( but if there is anything I can do to salvage this situation, I'd love to know what it is. Thank you in advance!

2. telegramsam

telegramsam

How is the PSU proprietary? By it's mounting scheme?

I'm looking at the specs for your model but I see nothing but max power output.

3. lavenderboi

The PSU is proprietary via it's dimensions. An aftermarket PSU simply will not fit inside the case. I'd just get a new case, but again, I'm worried that other components inside will be proprietary also, thus preventing me from having them placed inside a new case.

4. telegramsam

telegramsam

There's always a good chance of that. Did you look at Newegg and look at all the other weird form factors besides ATX or ATX2.0? I'll bet it's available, but you may have problems finding one more powerful than the one you have.

Use the advanced search, look in the other weird types, and see if you find anything close to the size. Then I'd suggest you follow the manufacturer links and see if you get a hit. It's gonna take some time, but it may be your only choice.

I would caution you, however about Ebay. Please don't put a used PSU that you know nothing about in your $2000.00 computer with a brand new $400.00 video card.

5. lavenderboi

I can't find any information regarding my current PSU. The Tech Dept NOR the Parts Dept at SONY could give me any information about it. They couldn't even give me the dimensions. Also, the sticker on the side of the PSU is so vague as to be useless. I suppose I could take it out and measure it myself however. So I'm guessing there is no such thing as an external power supply huh? I really appreciate the help however and will do as you suggest and see what I can find, but I think Sony has forced me into a corner where my only options will be to get a new computer (which is not an option atm) or sell my new video card, which is just plain gonna hurt. But who knows, maybe I'll get lucky! Thanks for the help!!

6. telegramsam

telegramsam

I'm not aware of an external PSU.

I don't think you need to replace the whole computer.

Look at the sticker and find a UL number. It should be a 5 or 6 digit number followed by E---E 12345...etc.

Then go here: http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/template/LISEXT/1FRAME/gfilenbr.html
    and plug the number into the box. That will tell you who really made the PSU, and maybe give you a lead to run down.

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    well in terms of getting a new case, that would all depend on the motherboard. If it's ATX form factor, you can put that in pretty much any case.

8. win2kpro

win2kpro

Small form factor cases can be a real PITA to try to modify. In addition the motherboard MAY be a BTX or Micro BTX form factor which futher complicates your situation.

Just out of curiosity have you measured the card to see if it would fit in the case if you could locate a suitable power supply?

9. lavenderboi

10. telegramsam

telegramsam

The pic won't open--what type of file is it?

11. lavenderboi

12. lavenderboi

INFO ON LABEL

DELTA ELECTRONICS, INC LPS ONLY FOR +12VSP
    MODEL: DPS-400LB A REV: 02
    INPUT 100-24V ~ / 7A,
    SONY P/N: 1-468-851-13
    47Hz-63Hz S/N: 146885113-AFCD0445110194

13. telegramsam

telegramsam

Ok, let me do some checkin--

14. telegramsam

telegramsam

15. lavenderboi

Well, problem solved (sort of). I purchased a standard PSU, plugged it in, connected everything and just let the PSU "hang" outside of the case. It may not be pretty, but it works beautifuly. It doesn't overheat and I've outsmarted Sony. Thank you for all the help!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540243

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice