1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I'm setting up a new wireless network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by VileSlay, Jul 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. VileSlay

VileSlay Thread Starter

I'm going to set up a wireless connection to my mothers computer to share cable access. she has a netgear wireless g router and I have purchased a netgear wireless g pci adapter. my question is in regards to encrytion.

I was told buy the guys at the store that I should setup an encryption of some kind to protect from people outside getting in on our network and also to prevent my mother from spying on me. they offered to install and setup the network, for a nominal fee of course, which I refused. I figured I could get the info on how to do it here and set it up myself. I would like to have the info before I start installing. can anyone help me out?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Enable WPA-PSK encryption on the router per the User Guide. Use a passphrase of 20+ letters and numbers mixed. Special characters are also good.

If you don't currently have access to the User Guide, download it from the Netgear web site.

EDIT: but get the wireless connection working w/o encryption first.

3. datamonger

datamonger

VileSlay,

Enabling encryption between your PC and your mom's wireless router will prevent outsiders from spying on you (all they will see would be a bunch of encrypted ethernet packets flying through the air) however, it will not prevent your mom from spying on you. She owns the router and controls it's settings. If you are worried about her seeing the sites you are visiting then you may also want to use a free VPN software. This way, you are encrypted from your PC, through your mothers router, through the cable company to Google, then you are off to do your bidding. Granted, then VPN organization will know every site you've visited...but at least your mom won't. Google had one out but it is currently not available...I am searching for another one, if I find one I will post it here.

4. datamonger

datamonger

As promised, http://www.iopus.com/ipig/download/ is where you will find iPig. It is a VPN client that allows you to tunnel to the iopus servers and surf without your mom's knowledge of where you are surfing. It claims to be freeware. I have not used it and do not plan on using it so please pursue this link with caution. I cannot guarantee that it is spyware or adware free. Look around for some reviews before you install it.

Good Luck!

5. VileSlay

VileSlay Thread Starter

thanks datamonger, but I really have no fear of my mother tracking any of my movements. I was just repeating what the sales dude at bestbuy said. she only really uses the computer to play bookworm and look up stuff about Lost. :rolleyes:

anyway, I got it set up. only problem is that I'm getting a crappy *** signal. how can I get a better signal? is there a way to extend the range, like getting a better antenna or something to bounce the signal?

6. datamonger

datamonger

Vile,

There are several things you can do. Google 'boost wifi signal' and you will have an endless list of things to try. Nothing is guaranteed and you may have to implement more than one. One thing is for sure: you will probably have to go through a bunch of them to find the ones that work.

Good Luck!

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Some simple things to check before getting too involved ...

Distance problem?

Obstructions (concrete walls, many walls, heating ducts, refrigerator, CD collection, etc.)?

Router too near an outside wall?

Bad position of router antenna (the weakest signal is along the antenna's axis)?

If it is not a distance problem, sometimes a small repositioning of the router or computer can make a significant difference.

8. VileSlay

VileSlay Thread Starter

yeah I'm in the basement and the router is on the second floor. my brother got had gotten a good signal on his laptop in my apartment, so I figured I would also. I was thinking of buying one of these. think this could help me out? it can be configured to act as a bridge or a repeater.

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

From the basement to the second floor, it's going to be somewhat of a challenge. First off, you probably want to orient the antennas in the horizontal plane, since the signal lobes from a standard omni-directional look like an 8 on it's side. Signal out the top of the antenna is minimal.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    A repeater (or "range extender") on the first floor may help. But before buying one that is not returnable, experiment. Place your PC on the first floor where you might place a repeater. If you get a decent signal then try with router in that place and your PC in basement where you want it. If again you get a decent signal, then a repeater should work for you.

11. JohnWill

Remember, a wireless repeater will have an adverse affect on the link throughput, cutting it in half for a single station connected. The repeater is a "store and forward" device, and since it can't be sending and receiving at the same time, you have a bottleneck there.

12. VileSlay

VileSlay Thread Starter

moving the computer to the first floor isn't possible because it's someone elses apartment. I was gonna set up the repeater in the hallway. I kinda figured that using one would have some drawbacks. I'm sure that if I buy it and it dosen't work that I would be able to return it at least for store credit.

one thing I came across in looking for ways to extend wifi range was the "pringle can" antenna. does that really work? just curious.

13. JohnWill

The Cantenna is directional, but if you want to join two specific locations, directional antennas will work. FWIW, I once connected two locations about 3/4 mile away from each other with a pair of Cantennas and standard Linksys WiFi 802.11b equipment. It does work. :)

14. VileSlay

VileSlay Thread Starter

okay, so theoretically speaking I could build one of those, hook it up to my pci card, point it up (since the room the router is in is almost directly above my computer) and get a good signal? just curious. I might try it out.

15. silvershield

silvershield

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488265

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice