1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I'm sick of fighting my computer...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Milo, Jan 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Milo

Milo Thread Starter

Ok, I got a new computer. It's a Duron 950 with this motherboard. It came with a SiS730 as the video card, however this video card sucks and the company offers pathetic support. I've been fighting in for several weeks. I've also got another Video Card I've tried using, however when I plug it in, my screen does a very, very weird thing which looks somewhat like this. I tried plugging it in again, and now it won't even boot to Windows (I'm using XP Pro). The screen is black, and has a bunch of letters and the like covering it. I can barely make out what's in the background. I would REALLY like to find a way to make this Savage 4 (The other Video card) work with my computer. Is there any way that I can fix this? Thank you for any help.

2. deuce

deuce

Is your mobo nea enough that you could return it? Since you save money on AMD over Intel, why don't you put in a few more bucks and get a better mobo? Look for one with AGP. (looks like yours has onboard agp, but as you said it sucks) Since it doesn't look lije you have an agp slot, you would have to use PCI graphics and it isn't nearly as good as agp. you would be better off using the crappy onbaord agp.

3. esdxc37

esdxc37

we cant help if the links dont work

4. deuce

deuce

they worked for me...

5. Milo

Milo Thread Starter

I'm not better off with the onboard card. It's a peice of crap. I can't play simple games with it. They crash after playing them for about 30 seconds. I have gone to the company that made the card for support, and they just showed off how stupid they could be. My main problem is - What's going on with the Savage 4 that would make it look like that?

6. deuce

deuce

I couldn't tell for sure from the picture... do you have an agp slot?

7. Milo

Milo Thread Starter

Well, I'm not the brightest person with the insides of a computer, but I'm pretty sure I do.

8. Rockn

Rockn

The board only has 2 PCI slots and AGP and AMR slot. If the on-board video card works you might want to go into the BIOS and allocate more memory for it, I think it shares your systems memory. As far as the savage, from the picture it looks like bad video memory or it is trying to use the drivers for you SIS card. Go into your display setting and change the default adapter to standard VGA, reboot, Go into your BIOS and disable the on-board video, save and shut off the PC. Install the savage and boot up to Windoze and install the drivers for the savage card.

9. GoneForNow

GoneForNow

Milo----Depending on which version of the motherboard you have you may or may not have an AGP slot. Versions 1.6 and later do have the slot. In you do have the slot then you need to enter the BIOS (Hit delete at boot-up) Go to PCI/Plug ang Play. You will see that optional video is listed as PCI, you need to change this to AGP.

I suggest that you download the motherboard manual (assuming you don't have one) and it is all explain there. The download is located on the page you supplied above (motherboard). One final note, the video card that you have chosen hasn't been tested by the motherboard manufacture so it may not work no matter what you do. Again, there is a list of supported video cards at the web site.

10. richardp

richardp

i have this motherboard and it only supports a few graphics cards. look in the booklet that came with the motherboard and it shows a list of supported ones. BTW if you use the onboard graphics too much it will blow the system memory.

11. Lurker1

Lurker1

If you can I would return the board and get a different brand. PCCHIPS is the cheap basement of motherboards. EPOX, GIGABYTE and ASSUS are a few of the brands I would pick.

I have owned a few PCCHIPs motherboards in the past. Never again.:(

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!