1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

i'm so stumped!!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by hunny, Sep 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hunny

hunny Thread Starter

i'll try to make this as short as i can!

a couple of days ago, my cable co. sent out a "heads up" email about a microsoft security patch along with some links for adaware and the cleaner etc.

i d/l ad-aware and the cleaner.

ran them both - adaware found a few parasites and quarantined them.

the cleaner found a trojan but also cleaned it.

ran a virus scan and all was well.

ran a scan disk - no errors

ran a scanreg /fix just for the hell of it and again, no errors

booted back into windows from dos and yikes!!!!!! every driver i had was gone!!.. it wanted me to reinstall windows but i got around that.. reinstalled all the drivers from my mb etc, once i could get my cd rom to work.. it was a nightmare!!

anyway... i'm back up and running, but now the majority of my programs will not work.. ms word, paintshop pro, just to name a couple. it's like everything's been corrupted.

one of the things i notice most is my display..

i like to play the odd pogo game, but my video seems really jerky - especially if i play for too long. it never ever did it before.

i'm running windows 98SE, have an AMD duron 800, 384 mb of ram on an epox 8kta3 mb.

any ideas what might have happened or how to fix my graphics?

appreciate any help u can offer.

thanks in advance!

hunny

2. panzer999

panzer999

You said you re-installed all your drivers, I am assuming that means your video card drivers as well.

Did you download the latest version of DirectX from Micro$oft? Also, since I think Pogo is a Java game, did you get the newest version of Internet Explorer?

3. gmh

gmh

suggest restoring to point prior to installing patch and ad-aware, etc...

4. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

He's got Win98 and it doesn't have the restore feature ;)

Do you need monitor drivers?

Which video card (make/model) do you have?

5. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Do you have another monitor that you can try to see what happens? It may be a hardware problem. If the monitors power supply is going bad then it will make the display act like that, especially after it warms up. It may just be a coincidence and the monitor is acting up, or going bad. Just a thought.

6. mobo

mobo

I as well recommend setting back the registry to the oldest point available via scanreg /restore and if its works ok don't scanreg /fix but use the adaware and other trojan tools.

7. hunny

hunny Thread Starter

I'll try to answer everyones questions/remarks as i've read them.

Yes it included my video drivers.

Yes i downloaded a new version of direct x.

Yes i updated to IE6 - which is what i had before... but after the "incident" it had reverted to IE5.

Yes i did a reg restore to a previous date.

My monitor is not quite a year old but i did install the newest version of drivers that i could. (samsung syncmaster 750s)

My video card's about 3 months old - not a great one but good enough for what i use my pc for. (nvidia riva tnt2 64)

I'm not sure what else to try.... or do.... aaaaarrrggghhhhhhh!!!!!

thanks to everyone for ur suggestions!!

8. mobo

mobo

Certainly appears as the trojan has done some damage so its up to you to assess the amount of damage and the extent of repairs versus a reformat....For me , if I were you, i'd pull out the cd and let go nice and clean..

9. hunny

hunny Thread Starter

ok motherboard..... i followed your suggestion and reformatted today...

i only have one error and for the life of me i cannot figure it out!!

i'm not able to find my soundcard driver CD so i've done what i can, but i have an error under Creative Miscellaneous Devices - Creative Multimedia Interface...

when i go to properties in the device manager it says "the mmdevldr.vxd device loader(s) for this device could not load the device driver (code 2)

if i go thru the process of the update, i get to the part in the wizard where it says Creative Multimedia Interface... the best driver windows found is already installed for this device. Click back etc etc etc... Location of driver c:\windows\inf\ctmisc.inf

when i do a search using find, neither the mmdelvr or ctmisc files are found....

i'm so confused.

i've downloaded the latest version of the soundblaster live 5.1 drivers but still nothing....... no sound!!

any ideas anyone?

10. mobo

mobo

First off..be absolute certain you have the correct drivers downloaded to your desktop. Then go to device manager and delete the windows drivers or whartever drivers they are that say they are loaded. The right click on the multimedia card and select update driver and navigate to the drivers you downloaded. There should be either an exe or more likely an inf file which is the one you need to click on.

11. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

That should be a stand alone program. You just download them and click on it and it will install everything for you.

What is the EXACT name of your soundcard?

I'll send you the link...

12. hunny

hunny Thread Starter

thanks wetchicken and motherboard!!

i was finally able to get it done last night!!

i had done what you both suggested - several times with no luck.

i finally unzipped the drivers to a folder, installed my burning program, burnt them to a cd and voila!! easy as pie!

not sure why i didn't think of that to begin with.

appreciate the time you both took to help!!

have a gr8 day!

hunny

13. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

You are welcome hunny. We are glad to help :)

14. mobo

mobo

Glag to hear..

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164768

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice