1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Im so stupid

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by vegasvinceq, Feb 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vegasvinceq

vegasvinceq Thread Starter

Im not sure what I did. Probably mashing buttons while frustrated playing a game. After 30 seconds of not touching any buttons or moving the mouse, my PC automaticaly locks, and I have to enter my password to unlock it. This is a huge pain in my butt. Im not sure how I turned this feature on, and I cant figure out how to turn it off. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

In the Control Panel > Power Options make sure all your settings are set to Never. If you do want to use a Screen Saver, make sure it is not password protected on resume. This is configured through Desktop Properties (right click on desktop > properties) > Screen Saver

If this is not it, you may have some 3rd party program involved in the locking.

You could try doing a System Restore and see if that fixes it. Start > run: msconfig > Launch System Restore and select a date prior to the problem.

They can be "undone" if not helpful.

3. Augie65

Augie65

Check your power options that you don't have standby password protected.
    Start> Run> type powercfg.cpl then hit OK.
    Check the Advanced tab and see if the box is checked:
    Prompt for password when computer resumes from standby

You beat me Rog:)

4. vegasvinceq

Didnt work. I did take it off "password" protect, but it still happens. Its a microsoft box that pops up and says "this computer is in use and has been locked. Only (owner) can unlock this computer" I dont think it has to do with screen savers or anything because it happens when Im idle for like 30 seconds. When Im watching a video and it happens, you can still hear thi video in the background, but all I can see is the box and my desktop, if that helps. Thanks alot for the help guys. This is driving me batty.

5. unbidden

unbidden

Did you try Rollin' Rog's advice concerning System Restore?

6. vegasvinceq

Well it happened almost 2 weeks ago. Ive been out of town. Doesnt system restore only go back so far? and dont I loose any work Ive done since then? Like photoshop etc...?

7. Augie65

Augie65

Try rebooting after you uncheck the password protect and see if that works.

8. vegasvinceq

This same thing actualy happened at work too. We have 6 managers that use the computers, all with different log ons. after the computer is idle for a time it automaticaly locks. It didnt used to happen, then the IT guys came and did some work on the computer and it now happens. Problem there is sometimes someone is logged in and they leave for the day, the computer locks itself and the person leaves, we have to call them and get their password. Its definatly a windows thing.

9. vegasvinceq

Just rebooted and it still happens. I dont think its associated with hibernation or screensavers standby or that stuff. its locking the workstation. *tear*

10. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

What version of Windows are you using?

11. Augie65

Augie65

Sounds like a group policy setting, has your computer been connected with your work network?

12. vegasvinceq

I use XP And I havent been connected to any networks. There has to be a feature that turns the "lock workstation" function off. Im an idiot and I think I accidentaly turned it on when mashing buttons. I must have hit some combination to turn it on. I know "Windows+L" will lock the pc. But I must have turned it on to automaticaly do it after 30 seconds.

13. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

To unlock your computer, press CTRL+ALT+DELETE, type your password, and then click OK.

14. vegasvinceq

Yes I know that. That isnt the problem. I dont want my computer to lock. How do I make it stop locking itself. It does it every thirty seconds

15. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If your IT guy did something and it is happening on company computers -- then you need to be in touch with him -- there may be some 3rd party software causing this. You may have that program on your computer if any work related programs have been installed on it.

As for System Restore -- the number of restore dates available depends on disk space. It can go back months.

To check the calendar just run msconfig > Launch System Restore > Restore my computer to an earlier time -- and you will see the list of calendar dates.

Like I said -- they can be undone.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544078

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice