iMac 5k backlight dead issue

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

imacquestion

So I recently upgraded my late 2015 imac's processor from an i5 to an i7, and when i put it all back together, the screen would not turn on. Well technically it turns on but the backlight does not work. (I can see everything if i shine a strong light on the screen) I've reopened it a few times to try and see what the problem is, but I cannot find anything. The connections are good, the cables are good, nothing appears to be broken or out of the ordinary. Does anyone have a clue on what is messed up and what I would need to fix/replace? I don't want to go to the apple guys....

I believe there are 4 possibilities for the issue:
The power supply, the 2 display connections on the logic board, a fuse somewhere, or the GPU.

specs:
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
4 GHz Intel Core i7 6700k
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon R9 M390 2048 MB
Crucial mx300 750gb 2.5'' SSD

imacquestion

So i just looked at the diagnostic leds on the logic board and when i turn it on, the first 3 light up and the 4th doesnt. i read that indicates communication between the board and the display. so i think the backlight board is the issue. any thoughts on this?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online