1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

imac G3 DVD - RAM/Boot Problems

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by zowie2, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zowie2

zowie2 Thread Starter

I have an imac G3 DVD running OS 8.6. It ran fine with 256 MB of RAM. I recently upgraded the RAM to 1 Gb, and now I have problems booting up. On some occasions it boots fine, but most of the time it hangs with no POST. When I remove power and restart, it boots normally. It's almost as if the previous shutdown failed and it needs help on the next boot. Are there any firmware updates that might help? (It's also connected to a wireless bridge via the ethernet port).

2. D0C_Hol1d@y

[email protected]

was the RAM formatted for your mac? I remember on my old G4 Sawtooth having to flash the ram and reformat it to get 9.2 to read it correctly. I can not for the life of me think of where I got that from. I think I got it from Apple's support site.

3. DoorGah

DoorGah

Hello,
    Have you tried putting the old RAM back in¬óno new? Also, have you zapped the Parameter RAM?
    If it's dual bus RAM (100/133), it acts up. Also, remove all peripherals that are hooked up, just keyboard/mouse.

4. emoxley

emoxley

Maybe the new ram didn't seat properly in the slot? Or maybe the new ram is bad. It happens sometimes. I'd agree with DoorGah about zapping the Pram. In case you don't know how..... Hold down the Apple key, Option key, "P" key, and "R" key, while booting up. Hold until you hear the startup chime about three times, let go the keys, and see if it boots ok. Once it boots up ok, I'd run Disk First Aid (usually in Utilities folder), just to double check things.
    Good luck!

5. VegasACF

VegasACF

You're kidding, right?

6. D0C_Hol1d@y

[email protected]

no vegas it is a fact obviously you're just a user.

7. macguru

macguru

...must have meant flash the ROM....Ok Ram is of varying quality always buy Apple Spec ram for older Macs I would buy mine from macsales.com rather than some other places..........Ram carries no information between bootup so there is nothing to flash....no information is stored in RAM it's ROM.

8. macguru

macguru

....even may reset hardware in some Macs that have a hardware reset switch.........

9. D0C_Hol1d@y

[email protected]

10. D0C_Hol1d@y

[email protected]

Ah guru you're right. I flashed the ROM and reformatted the non apple memory. I am sorry it was like 4 years ago. Thanks for correcting me.

11. macguru

macguru

Is we exercise our abilities to HELP other users and not get into a you're right no I'm right game. That helps no one gets us all peeed off at each other. The Important thing is we flex our minds not our egos. I hope this makes sense because its the truth. Lets start by being believable to others.

12. emoxley

emoxley

zowie2..............
    Did any of the suggestions help?
    If you got it working right again, we'd like to know what fixed it, so we can pass along the fix, to the next guy, with the same problem. Thx......... :)

13. zowie2

zowie2 Thread Starter

Okay...it was really quite easy, though troublesome to get there.

I inserted the old RAM and got a normal boot.

Then I flashed the BIOS to the latest update 4.1.9.

The problem was that I did not have OS 9, only OS 8.6, so I had to track one down from Craigslist, then install, then do the update. Once I did the update, the new RAM worked fine with a normal boot.

What a pain in the butt though....

14. emoxley

emoxley

Ok, thanks.
    Glad you got it working again! :)

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436564

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice