1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

iMac G4 800Ghz 60Gb Hdd 512mb Ram

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mluiscypher, Apr 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mluiscypher

mluiscypher Thread Starter

Hello, I'm hoping that someone out there can help me, I was given the above iMac in a not working state of order, not being familiar with apple products i am at bit of a loss.

About me, been pulling Pc's apart for over a decade so I know the in's and outs of a PC, apple has always been either to expensive or just basically not around so I've never had the chance to play with one, here's my chance.

So to me it seemed dead, so I pulled it apart, the dome shape of the case was interesting to say the least but it seemed easy to take apart, I cleaned it in and out put it back together.

Tried the power button, nothing, no sound no beep... nothing.
    So I asume it was the power supply and not your average power supply (compared to PC) I thought there's no more I could do.

I pulled the power cable out and then plugged the power cable back in while holding the power button....nothing, so I went and watched some TV, I come back and it's on ??????????

Is it like my first car, needs a few minutes to warm up before anything happens ?

The screen said : apple version ( a list of numbers) then a date 1/1/1904 and I thought it's somewhat older than I had thought.

next line was type "mac close" ( not totally sure of that but as I remember it LATE last night) to turn off"
    and "To boot OS type "mac boot"" which I would have if I had a keyboard, I tried to plug in a normal usb keyboard but that didn't work so I ended up switching it off on the wall just in case it has to load the usb keyboard as it booted but haven't been able to get it to do that again.

I'd appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction for a guide that a 4 yr old could understand for the basics of this model computer, I know apple have a lot of things you can do to get things done on the computer at this moment I'd be happy to get it started , is it not liking having no keyboard or mouse, do I run around it in circles then press power ?

Apple is like another language for me, one that I do not speak so please any one with baby steps for me would be a blessing, I'd really like to have a go at apple, I might be missing something better than windows ( Yeah I know all you apple fans would agree ! )

Thank you for your time... and thanks.:D

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920160

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice