iMac G5 General Questions

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

SRTUK

Hey all,

Basically I am living in the UK and considering purchasing an iMac G5 20".
But I have a few questions regarding the Mac in general and a few specific ones as well.

Ok well first I am going to buy it from the online Apple store. I am certain I am going to get the 400GB hard drive but I am not sure what RAM to get. I've worked out I can get either of the 1GB RAMs but I have no idea which one is better.
There's one called 1GB DDR400 SDRAM -2DIMMS or the other one is called 1GB DDR400 SDRAM -1DIMM. Which one should I pick?

I chat to my mates a lot over MSN Messenger 7. Is that available for the Mac?

How long on average do Macs last? As I have been told I need this Mac to last at least 5 years. And what with all the Macs next year being Intel based should I hold out till then??

I am currently on AOL Broadband buthave been informed they are not compatible with Macs. Therefore I am going to need to change ISPs. Can anyone recommend an ISP in the UK which comes close if not betters AOL. (In terms of flat rate charge, speeds etc)

And finally (thanks for bearing with me) I obviously understand that this is a Mac forum so the answers are going to be somewhat biased but I was thinking of purchasing a HP Media Centre before I saw the iMac. Would anyone recommend that over the iMac?

Ok thanks everyone, I think that's all I need to know…..for now lol

Scott

Ok well first I am going to buy it from the online Apple store. I am certain I am going to get the 400GB hard drive but I am not sure what RAM to get. I've worked out I can get either of the 1GB RAMs but I have no idea which one is better.
There's one called 1GB DDR400 SDRAM -2DIMMS or the other one is called 1GB DDR400 SDRAM -1DIMM. Which one should I pick?
Get the 1DIMM. This gives you the option of adding another GB later.

I chat to my mates a lot over MSN Messenger 7. Is that available for the Mac?
Yes

How long on average do Macs last? As I have been told I need this Mac to last at least 5 years. And what with all the Macs next year being Intel based should I hold out till then??
5 years is not an unrealistic expectation. However, I will mention the experience I had. We bought 3 of the 17" G5 imacs for our offices and while 2 have performed flawlessly, 1 has had several problems. Apple has replaced parts at no charge, but the downtime can be frustrating.

I am currently on AOL Broadband buthave been informed they are not compatible with Macs. Therefore I am going to need to change ISPs. Can anyone recommend an ISP in the UK which comes close if not betters AOL. (In terms of flat rate charge, speeds etc)
No UK recommadations on an ISP, but I will tell you, my wife has a iBook and is still using AOL at broadband speeds with no problem. We do use a cable modem from our cable company to get connectivity, but using AOL is not a problem. However, if you don't need AOL to get online, I always recommend having just a basic ISP.

And finally (thanks for bearing with me) I obviously understand that this is a Mac forum so the answers are going to be somewhat biased but I was thinking of purchasing a HP Media Centre before I saw the iMac. Would anyone recommend that over the iMac?
The Media Centre concept is intriguing, but I haven't used it yet. I am considering a Mac Mini, an extrenal 400 GB firewire drive and getting a 32" Plasma for my home entertainment system. There is a piece of hardware, EyeTV, I believe that can use a Mac as basically a TIVO device and to control your home entertanment.

Okie dokie

Hope some of this helps.

John

SRTUK

Hi.
Thanks for replying to my questions.

I just have one more before I buy the iMac.

Would anyone here recomend waiting until next year for the Intel based Macs.
That is the only real reason now stopping me. I have gathered that Macs last for yonks it's just i'm now hesitant whether to wait another year as I'm worried that the current iMacs will not be compatible with things Apple comes out with.

Ok that's about it.

Thanks,
Scott

OK, lots of rumors swirling around about the new Intel based Macs.

I have heard that in the development labs, they are wiping the floors with the existing G5 chips. I am not saying I believe it, cause I haven't seen it for myself. This is all happening in the deepest darkest caverns beneath the Apple Campus in Cupertino.

I can not imagine that software will be a problem. They are moving towards more compatibility not less, which is one of the justifications for the switch to Intel chips.

But anyway, like we say in the wine business. Drink it now, we'll make more!

John

SRTUK

Cheers again!! Really helpful thanks!

Must say now I'm sorry but I have one more question. It sort of leads on from the questions before regarding the Media Centre PC and, well, PCs in general.
I understand again that this is a Mac forum but I know everyone here will give me their honest opinion.
Basically I have been looking at a Media Centre PC. Sorry if links aren't allowed but to be precise it is this one.
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/ho/WF05a/35123-35527-39847-39847-39847-12189800.html

Now, I know a bit about computers but would the only reason to get the iMac G5 be because of the superior OS. I mean if I was to buy an iMac I would get the 1GB RAM and 400GB HD but (now I'm probably wrong) but are the specs of the Mac inferior to those of the PC above, and PCs in general?

Again sorry if the posted link or anything isn't allowed.

Thanks for reading,
Scott

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online