1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IMAC vs PC ?

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by nthpokt, Sep 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nthpokt

nthpokt Thread Starter

I am thinking of buying a IMac but not sure if it is worth the cost compared to what a good quality PC (if there is such a PC)would cost. If I buy a MAC, it will be my first one. I am tired of having PC's foul up, slow down, parts failing and so on.I have friends who have Mac's and they have lasted for years. The PC's I have had have only worked well for a year or so. I won't be doing anything as far as editing goes. I just want something that is worth the money and will last a long time. Thanks for your ideas!

2. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    I read reviews and price shop.

My first computer was a desktop MS Windows based PC I bought in 2000 and I've stayed with the platform because the added software I bought only ran on Windows machines.
    A switch to Apple would have been an added expense over and above the cost of an Apple computer.
    While my first computer, a Gateway, was a dud my experiences with PC hardware since have been very good.

IMO, operating system choice is now more important because the hardware in both platforms is dependable.

I still use Win 7 off line for home/office like duties, but switched to a Linux distro exclusively for Internet access. I'm not a fan of Win 10.

I have nothing against Apple products I simply am satisfied with what I'm using.

3. nthpokt

nthpokt Thread Starter

Thanks for your input! I am curious about Linux. Can you tell me why you like it for the Internet? I don't really know about Linux at all as far as pro's and con's....Thanks !

4. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    I'm NOT an expert on Linux :D
    Just a user pleased with the results of a lot of effort coders have put into the Linux user community.

IMO, no operating system is or can be 100% safe on the Internet.
    MS Windows being the most used OS, it also becomes the biggest target for malicious hackers to attack on line.

I feel Linux is more resistant to malicious intrusion.

I use a Linux distro that boots from a DVD. In my case, Xenialpup64 7.5.
    Some info here: http://puppylinux.com/
    I run a computer with out a hard drive, removing the DVD after the computer boots up. Every time the computer is turned off, everything in memory is erased. Thus nothing gets saved from one session to another unless I intentionally save it to a flash drive..
    That doesn't mean a session is 100% safe, but it is safer. Safe browsing is still a necessity.
    It can also be booted off a flash drive. A faster boot up.

Many Linux users like conventional hard drive installs of Ubuntu and Mint.
    There are a lot of choices in the realm of Linux.

A con is that you won't have the assistance of a large corporation, like MS or Apple, that backs a product.
    There is a new learning curve to deal with because Linux is quite different to MS Windows. It's mostly knowledgeable users helping users.

Pros include the price, free, and better security.

5. elitetechsvc

elitetechsvc

First Name:
    Aaron
    I own a computer shop and in business and personally I run both Mac and Windows machines and can say that if you want to just go buy something off the shelf that is easy to use, will last a long time, and looks good in the process then go with an iMac all day long. They are awesome, and if you go with the 5k version (not the Pro) it's nearly impossible to build one for the same cost considering how awesome Apple's screens are. They are easy to learn to use, not impossible but very unlikely you'll any kind of virus (I don't run any protection on my Macs and have no issues), and they work when they're supposed to.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1216927

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice