1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Image Creating on Win 8

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by moper, Feb 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. moper

moper Thread Starter

I'm still using XP and Ghost. Always worked fine. My wife got a new laptop, an Asus K55A, preinstalled with Windows 8. It comes with no disks, there is no utility to create disks, and Asus does not sell restore disks. The website says to use the "Windows 7 File Recovery", included with Win 8.
    [​IMG]
    When I go to create an image, this utility does not pick up all partitions. Without actually restoring, I not sure this will work.
    In Disk Management, this is the factory setup.
    [​IMG]
    The Windows 7 File Recovery does not see the 20GB restore partition.
    [​IMG]

I called on the phone to Asus and they suggested using the Windows 8 utility, which creates a restore flash drive. You must check the box to copy the restore partition (how come it now sees the restore partition) and use a 16GB flash drive. I said everthing won't fit on 16GB. They said that Windows 8 is embedded in a chip on the motherboard. I had them repeat that statement. I guess the flash drive will only hold drivers and programs.

I don't know. I admit I'm a little behind the times with UEFI and 'Secure Boot Control'. Do you think a program like Acronis or Macrium (pay or free) would be a safer option. I just want to be able to replace the drive, if necessary, and be confident that I can restore the new drive to factory settings.
    I don't have the laptop here now to run your utility, but it has an I5, 3210M with 4GB of ram and a 500GB Seagate drive.

Bill

Attached Files:

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I have successfully used Macrium Reflect Free to create a Windows 8 Pro backup image to an external USB hard drive and to re-image using it. Haven't tried any other method, so have no opinion of relative safety.

3. moper

moper Thread Starter

Thanks, I was leaning towards that. I want the factory restore partition and F9 at boot to remain working.
    I guess more time will tell.
    Did you hear that Win 8 is embedded in a chip on the motherboard? I know the product code is, but the whole operating system.

Bill

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I haven't heard that and I'm skeptical, but Asus designs their own motherboards, right? The only thing I can say for sure is that on my Levovo they use a hidden partition on the hard drive.

5. bbearren

bbearren

I use TeraByte's Image for Windows. One can select the hard drive as the image source, and it will create an image that includes everything on the drive, hidden partitions and all. For restoring, simply select the entire drive as the target.

I dual boot Windows 7/8 on my laptop, and I have verified that a full drive image will capture and restore everything.

6. moper

moper Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions.

I did use the Windows 8 utility(Control panel---Recovery---Create a Recovery Drive) to create a bootable flash drive with the restore partition files on it. Over 10 Gb of files were copied mosly in the WIM and SWM format, so it seems like it should work. I will still get a secondary image program for the whole drive.

It just seems funny that a Microsoft program(Recovery Media Creator) can be used to create an Asus restore media, when the actual manufacturer can't provide the software or disks. I saw where Lenovo also recommends this procedure.

Bill

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090918

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice