1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Image editing

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by Mike66, Jan 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mike66

Mike66 Thread Starter

Hi, can anyone tell me how I can paste an image, say clip art, onto a blank/new canvas or page, without having the white "box" area behind the image. I am trying to have just the image appear on my documents without the background as I like to use coloured backgrounds.

I have word,paint shop pro 9, serif drawplus 4 to do this if someone can point me in the right direction & as a newcomer to these programs, an idiots guide (me) on how to do it.

Many thanks guys & gals

Mike

2. coachdan32

coachdan32

I believe jpegs will let you set the background color to clear in an editing program. Other than that you will have to use your free-form selection tool to remove the background.

3. slipe

slipe

Make a new canvas with a transparent background and drag the image onto it. Some image types can have a clear background and that is all you have to do. If it takes the background to the new canvas you can select it and hit the delete key. In Photoshop you would use the magic wand in non-contiguous mode – I’m sure PSP has a similar tool.

4. Mike66

Mike66 Thread Starter

Thanks slipe & coach dan. I have been playing about. I have managed to delete the background which is now black but am having problems transferring the image (with the colours on it) to a new canvas. I am trying this in adobe photoshop cs (as well as in paint shop pro 9) using the wand (I sound like Harry Potter!), but stuck from there.

I'm sure its a click away.

If I dont reply to any other posts for a while its because its 23.10 & may be off to bed. Thanks for all help. Very much appreciated.

Mike

5. buck52

buck52 Banned

Try this with CS

Open the image... click the magic wand ...set the tolerance to about 30 and click on the black background... then click select>inverse then edit> copy... then open a new canvas the size you want and with the color background of your choice...click on it to make sure it's active... then click edit> paste...

buck

6. slipe

slipe

I’m assuming you are dragging using the move tool in CS, which is the black arrow in the upper right of the toolbar.

If Buck’s copy/paste doesn’t work for you try going Image>Mode>Lab Color in CS. Sometimes images won’t drag to a new file if they were originally GIF images with insufficient colors or whatever. I have found that changing to lab color lets you drag them.

7. Mike66

Mike66 Thread Starter

Hi all. Have managed to do what I wanted with your help. Many thanks its really appreciated. Cheers

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/432609

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice