1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Image Editor comparisions

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by mrcoons, Jan 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mrcoons

mrcoons Thread Starter

I am evaluating image editing software today. As this (digital photography) is basically a hobby my needs are not that great. I use my software basically to crop, resize and when necessary try to recover a bad image (I hate to see any image go to waste!).

For reasons too mundane to go into I have 3 packages on my Win XP Home system: Microsoft Digital Image Pro 10, ACDSee Photo Editor 3.1 and a trial version of Jasc Paint Shop Pro 8. I do not have Adobe Photoshop Elements nor do I intend to ever have it. I tried an evaluation copy once and disliked the learning curve. (I have to use Adobe products like FrameMaker as part of my job so I'd just as soon stay away from Adobe products at home.)

This afternoon I noticed that some ducks had wandered into my backyard so I grabbed my Canon Powershot S1 and took some pictures.

As I live in Illinois and it is snowing here today, it's rather overcast out. So I was trying different settings on my camera to see what they would do. In one particular image I had the ISO set to 200 I believe, which gave me a rather blue image. So set out to see if any of my software would repair this image.

So if you follow this link: http://www.fototime.com/inv/092CEDBD13D7A94
    you will see the original image and then one from each software package. I appended the initials of the vendor to each respective photo.

Each of these packages do certain things better than their competitors. For example MS DIP has a red-eye reduction tool that is (to me) better than the others and ACDSee's resize tool is better than the others. But in this situation I'm interested in which package gives me the best chance to recover a poorly or incorrectly exposed image.

After this long involved explanation which image looks the 'best' to you?

2. buck52

buck52 Banned

Darn I wish people wouldn't use Phototime... I hate turning cookies on...

I'll have a look in a minute but...without even looking PSP 8 should be the most capable although I have not played with the others

what adjustment did you make to each?
    problem is each works a little different and depending how they are used the results can vary greatly

buck

3. buck52

buck52 Banned

Hi again

It appears the 3 photos on the right are done with an automatic feature of some sort yes/no?
    the Jasc and MS look the best to me although they still look a tad dark overall

buck

4. t bone

t bone

i'd go with the psp
    i started with psp8 and now have 9.
    psp9 has some auto features that 8 didn't have.
    i have others but use psp for pretty much everything.

it does just about everything photoshop can do for way less money.

depending on how much you wanted to tweak those pictures you could probably get them to all look, more or less, the same.
    i agree with buck the jasc and ms look the best right now.

5. mrcoons

mrcoons Thread Starter

I the first 3 adjusted photos were all done with 'auto' in each package. I then went back and attempted to manually adjust with each package. (Those images all have 'manual' in the file name.) Unfortunately my test results are skewed because I did not make the same changes to photo. I plan on re-doing this test later today.

At this point my thoughts are that MSDIP10 is the easiest to use and its results are almost as good as PSP8. But its very slow and I have had it crash on me. I had an old photograph that I had scanned for my brother and I was using MSDIP10 to try to clean it up. The file was over 60mb in a TIF format and I had been working on it for 20 minutes cloning out some flaws. When I went to save the file MSDIP crashed and I lost some of my changes (fortunately I save every 10 minutes or so, so I did not lose everything).

I suppose that spending more time on PSP is what I need to do to see if I can adjust to it.

Thanks for the input!

6. slipe

slipe

IMO it isn’t worth learning to use anything without layers. You will eventually find you need them and have to learn to use another program.

PSP is probably your best bet. It is very capable and there are hundreds of tutorials online for doing almost anything you would want. Good tutorials are easier to follow than a book because they can have better examples of each step as you go along.

As a comparison this is what Photoshop did with your image:

Attached Files:

7. John P

John P

Here is what The Gimp did with it:

[​IMG]

The Gimp is a free open source image editor.

John

8. mrcoons

mrcoons Thread Starter

Thanks, John and Slipe for the input.

The Gimp was on my list to check out. Right now I am looking at PhotoFiltre that someone recommended to me.

9. John P

John P

I have used the trial versions on both Photoshop, and Photoshop Elements and as far as I can tell The Gimp is better then Elements, and execpt for a couple features as good as Photoshop. And it's FREE!

John

10. mrcoons

mrcoons Thread Starter

I have removed the duck pictures because they were confusing me.

I've restarted my test (don't groan too loudly!) and here is what I've done. I have two photos: the first (IMG_280) was taken at night on a football field so it doesn't have enough light (a common occurance for me). The second (IMG_0620) has too much back light because the subjects were standing in front of a huge window.

So all I have done to these photos is to try to manually change the exposure to improve the photo as best as the software would.

There is one version of the photo for each package tested. Here is what I used and the suffix I applied to the file to identify what software was used on it.

ACDSee Photo Editor 3.1 - ACD
    MS Digital Image Pro - MS
    Roxio PhotoSuite 7 - PS7
    Jasc Paint Shop Pro 8 - PSP
    PhotoFiltre - PF

To view the photos go to the same place as before: http://www.fototime.com/inv/092CEDBD13D7A94

11. buck52

buck52 Banned

you wanted to make me turn cookies on didn't you... :)

Paint Shop Pro wins hands down on both pictures in my eye

buck

12. bp936

bp936

very interesting comparisons, on my laptop, your newest pictures with the group, PSP for both pictures showed up the best. I use version 6 still and it does what I want to do. For digitial photo correction, if I need just redeye removal, the best program I ever found is: Preclick Silver free edition. It also corrects exposure, but not as good as PSP. I liked it so much I bought it and now it is called Preclick Gold. It is especially good for sorting, and burning a lot of pictures from my messy harddrive. It collects and catalogs them and I just pick without having to search for them. Also I was amazed, it resizes them and they still look excellent on the DVD player.
    But it depends what you want to do with the final picture. I would print them out and see which program is better, if that's what you want to do.
    MS looked terrible on the screen

13. hewee

hewee

14. mrcoons

mrcoons Thread Starter

I'm adding a third test photo to the album. This was an image that needed to be cropped and tweaked. So I tried to tone down the tint on this photo (they had the stage lit with an orange spotlight, it was horrible in person too!).

Here is my opinion for each photo:
    0324 1-MS, 2-PS7, 3-PSP, 4-PF, 5-ACD

0280 1-PSP, 2-ACD, 3-MS, 4-PS7, 5-PF

0620 - 1-ACD, 2-PSP & PS7, 3-MS, 4-PF

That's my opinion anyway. What's yours?

15. John P

John P

Thanks! I tried PSP and at least in my opinion The Gimp is much better. ;)

John

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325003

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice