1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Image files lost association in WIndows 2000

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Amaryllisine, Sep 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Amaryllisine

Amaryllisine Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a problem with inserting image files (i.e. .pdf, .jpg, .gif)
    into Excel, Word and Powerpoint using the 'insert picture from file' command, or any other means. I am using Windows 200 Professional.
    There is nothing actually wrong with the images, i can open and use them in
    other programs such as Photoshop and AutoCad, but they seem to have lost their file association - the icon for the image has been changed from the normal symbol to the normal symbol on a blank piece of paper. i have tried changing the program they are normally opened in from Windows explorer, but it didn't help. When I try and insert any images into word, excel or powerpoint the programs either 'disappear' or I get the following error message: The instruction at "0x77fcb3f5" referenced memory at "0x006d0062". The memory could not be "written".

I have no idea what has gone wrong to cause this or how to fix this.
    Please help!

2. pctonic

pctonic

This is usually some kind of registry screw up. You may want to try uninstalling and re-installing Photoshop. It doesn't sound related, but it Photoshop changes file associations of all kinds of image files. Kind of a pain, but it may work.
    The next thing to check would be to go to Start>My Computer>Tools>Folder Options, then to the File Types tab and look at the file associations for JPG JPE and JPEG, make sure it's something simple like microsoft internet explorer (you're windows 2000, so no Windows picture and fax viewer), photoshop, or the Microsoft picture editor. See what it is associated with now...

3. Amaryllisine

Amaryllisine Thread Starter

I uninstalled Photoshop. It seems to have worked, woohoo! Thanks a million!

4. pctonic

pctonic

Nice work! You should be able to re-install now and it shouldn't screw things up.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/399163

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice