1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Image for Windows problems + need a recommended backup program

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by OM2, Jan 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. OM2

OM2 Thread Starter

I used Image for Windows from TeraByteUnlimited.com
    The size of the hard drive is 27GB

The backed up file is 42GB!
    Where am I going wrong!!?

Can someone recommend an imaging software apart from Acronis?
    (Free would be great - but willing to pay if cheaper than Acronis)

Why I ended up using Image for Windows:

I was trying to use Acronis to backup a Windows 7 machine - it didn't want to work and complained about dynamic disk problem - and wanted me to pay $30 for a plugin that would make it work - this sucks as far as I'm concerned :(

I've got a full copy of Image for Windows from Terabyte - I haven't used the program for a few years because I have Acronis
    I ran the program Image for Windows program - it said it wanted to take 5 hours to complete! Yikes! I left running overnight
    (I was pretty sure the laptop battery wouldn't last that long + I didn't want to leave plugged in all night)
    In the morning, it seemed to have finished

To my amazement: I was left with a file that was 42GB in size! WOW!
    I'm going to send them $100 - maybe they'll send me back $150!

Thanks

OM

2. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

3. OM2

OM2 Thread Starter

richard, thats awesome help

i think i'll give both paragon and macrium a go

i'll be honest, i'm considering getting the extra 'plugin' for acronis that will make it work for windows 7 dynamic drives and therefore solve my problem - this will cost me $29.99 (to be honest, i don't think i should be paying for an extra 'plugin' it should just damn come with the program i think!!)
    i'm being stopped by one thing: it's got some really really poor reviews from users on amazon who have complained about it just NOT working on windows 7

hmmm dilemma...
    should i ditch acronis and go for one of the above?

4. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

As they're both free why not try both and see which works best for you? After all 2 backups better than 1 I guess?

5. OM2

OM2 Thread Starter

i'm having no luck!
    both of those programs have failed :(

macrium says it cant create an xml file because the hard drive doesn't have a number (or something like that)
    with paragon, it doesn't let me select

where am i going wrong?

this is a *completely* new machine
    (it's a budget hp laptop - amd dual core, 3gb ram + windows 7)
    i have split the hard drive using windows and have created and extra partition for data - could this be the source of the problem?

when starting up, i am supposed to be able to press f11 and be taken to the factory restoration option
    it just doesn't work
    does this sound like i have a faulty laptop?

let me know what u think - thanks

6. prunejuice

prunejuice

7. pip22

pip22

Be aware that some disk-imaging applications are not fully compatible with some Windows 7 installations if the 'Boot Manager' and boot files are on a separate 100MB partition. This partition must be 'Active' for the system to be able to boot up.

Some imaging applications (including Acronis TrueImage) incorrectly mark this partition as 'Inactive' after doing an image recovery. This results in a "boot manager not found" error.

The only imaging application which works properly on Windows 7 (when the boot files are on a separate partition) and that I've actually used is "[email protected] Disk Image". No problems at all with that.

8. Stoner

Stoner Banned

Which versions of Acronis experience this flaw?
    Something to avoid.

Myself, I've used an older version of Acronis ....version 10 Home...on a BartPE boot CD without any problems with win7 64 bit Home Premium. I created Images of 'System' and of 'C:' and restored them as a pair.

9. OM2

OM2 Thread Starter

well... that's the problem for me
    i've used acronis for the past few year and all has been ok
    i tried acronis on the win 7 laptop - it said it couldn't run because of dynamic disks
    acronis software to buy from their website: £40
    acronis software to buy from amazon: £17

the reviews on the amazon website from other buyers is REALLY bad - with MANY complaining about the software screwing up up on win 7

i don't particularly have time to waste - i don't want to run acronis and then be stuck scratching my head what to do because i have a dead laptop - this has happened to me a few weeks ago because of acronis *rubbish* boot selector

i'm willing to consider other options - i'm just not sure what??

10. OM2

OM2 Thread Starter

I've had a lot of trouble backing up a Win 7 laptop - I've done lots of research and the problem seems to be 'Dynamic Disks'

I've never come across this before and immediately thought it was something completely newly invented my Microsoft

I've done research - and it doesn't seem to be new at all - it's been around for years

Is there any reliable backup software for dynamic disk systems?
    I've searched but find no good answer to this - reading reviews on Amazon, I don't think one answer is to use Acronis

Any recommendations would be great

ALSO: is it recommended to go to a normal file system instead?
    I've seen LOADS of guides that show how to do this - but from what I can see it isn't necessarily straight forward and can't be done on a live running system

Any advice would be great

Thanks

OM

11. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, Sorry to not have any help for you. I do want to explain that I have Merged the two threads you had open discussing the system image with Windows 7 dynamic disks issue......we allow just one thread per issue. Your newer thread is just rehashing the same basic problem, so I Merged the two together rather than lose that information.

The newest thread you had started contained just post #12.

Please continue in this thread for the issue, make all replies and posts here please.

12. OM2

OM2 Thread Starter

thanks for that. apologies for the double post - i really did think it warranted a new thread - i thought the subject matter would help others since it was definitely a different topic than the first question.

13. Byteman

What is the different topic you refer to?

14. OM2

OM2 Thread Starter

1. my first question was relating to backing up windows 7 machines + wanting a recommended program
    (non of the replies made any reference to dynamic discs - i am the only one who referred to it - and i did not realise that, amongst other things may have been the root cause of my problem)
    i did research before and after getting replies with backing up win 7
    one of the problems of backing up win 7 machines was that the mbr sits on another drive and is not backed up properly - as indicated in some of the replies

2. my second question was asking about the issue of dynamic disk imaging
    i did think of adding a reply to the existing thread, but made a conscious decision that i thought it was a different (but related) topic - i haven't found a single bit of software that handles dynamic disk imaging very well (from my research anyway), the industry leader (in my humble opinion) acronis, really sucks at backing up win 7 dynamic disks

i wanted a specific answer to both my questions and felt it warranted 2 threads

i'm not gaining in any other way (apart from asking for help) - i'm not advertising in my signature or something and trying to get extra exposure - so... it doesn't really make much sense to me to get an infraction warning

all sounds a bit odd to me :(

15. Byteman

My giving an Infraction is based on:

1. The length of time you have been a member of the site. You must have seen some notice about multiple threads, threads Closed or Merged, due to posting the same or very similar requests for help in more than one thread. This has been part of the Rules here since before I became a member in 2002.

2. The similarity of the two threads started. Your first thread consisted of Posts 1-11. The second was only a single (Post#12) I Merged the two threads together. You could not seem to do a full backup of Windows 7 on your almost new laptop. The computer is the same, the topic is the same, with some additional info about dynamic disks, however all of that was in your first post in the first thread as well as the second thread.

3. You did find a solution, if you had wanted to pay the money for the Update involved that made it work with Win7. You found this in the first thread......

The dynamic disk reference in Post # 1, Post 3, and Post 11 was part of the first thread-- but is only part of the subject of the second. You posted again in the SAME forum, which is fine to do....but did not ask that your first thread be closed, did not mark it Solved, did not ask a Moderator anything at all. All that is covered in the same section about multiple postings...... and in the Welcome Guide.

*We started the Infraction system not too long ago, but before that we were using "User Notes" as a way to keep track of "violations" of the site Rules.

Snip from the Rules here>> http://www.techguy.org/rules.html

You had a solution in that Update, for one thing..... I can't say I disagree with you about having to pay for that.

Your basic request for help is twofold> How to do a full backup, and how to deal with the dynamic disk part.

The error the program gave you told you that it failed due to "dynamic disk" being used- you knew this and posted
    about this error 3 times in the first thread.

Post #1:

Post 3:

Post 11:

Your 2nd Thread has the same basic two questions.... It's title is: Need advice backing up dynamic disk systems

Post # 12 now, the Post 1 of thread 1 was this::
    Any Moderator here would have gladly assisted you in Closing your first thread had you asked to do that.

Since your main subject is the same for both threads I took action as a Moderator. I have nothing else to say.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976176

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice