1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Image Preview problem

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by stevedann, Nov 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stevedann

stevedann Thread Starter

I usually open jpegs in Image Preview but I seem to have lost the program. When I click on a jpeg file a dialogue box comes up saying that another program can't find a system file or that I may have typed the file name wrongly ( I've actually clicked on the file).
    I can see the file displayed as a thumbnail (while looking at the folder containing the jpegs in My Computer but they will only display full size if I choose to display them in Internet Explorer. If I try to display them in Imaging it says that the image format is not supported.

Where does Image Preview come from, is it part of Windows and how might I re-install it? I'm running Windows Me on a Gateway 200 Mhz with 64Mb ram.

Anybody got any ideas whats going on.

Thanks.

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

stevedann
    The first issue you need to address is make sure the Image preview is set in WinME.
    This <a href=http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q271627>Article</a> from MS KB will lead you through it.
    If the problem is not fixed then you will have to make resigistry changes so set up a restore point before digging into the registry.
    This <a href=http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q192573>Article</a> will lead you through the registry changes.
    Keep us posted to the progress.
    Dave

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

It sounds like your Windows associations are fine (you can see both previews and full size images in Internet Explorer?!), but the third party utility you were using is MIA.

Why not try Irfanview, I think you will like it. Just choose to associate it with the image types you find convenient. Or none at all.

http://www.irfanview.com/english.htm

4. stevedann

stevedann Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply Davey. Tried all that its just the same. When I customise the folder to 'Image Preview', close the window and then re-open it its gone to 'current'. Is that correct?
    In any case it doesn't work. At the moment I'm fighting shy of making changes to the registry as suggested by another user but may have to. What do you think.

Thanks again.

5. Davey7549

Davey7549

stevedann
    As it stands now your alternatives are do not use Windows image preview and use Infranview as Rog suggests or make the suggested registry changes.
    Making registry changes can be a daunting task and you must be careful to follow instruction exactly as laid out or you could cause worse problems. I do suggest setting a restore point before doing any registry work and since you have WinME as i do make a WinMe startup disc so you can use Scanreg /restore from DOS if you can not access system restore for some reason.
    The decision is yours to make.
    Dave

6. stevedann

stevedann Thread Starter

Thank you for your help above, I've installed Irfanview so I'm basically sorted, but I would like to know what happened to Image Preview in the first place, should it be possible to re-install it from my Me disk?

Thanks for the help.

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Assuming you are able to view images normally, the preview function (the one that produces the small thumbnail image on the left of the folder) is basically a registry issue. There is a patch you can run which will restore the defaults relieving you of the manual registry editing the MS article instructs.

You can download the zip file here, just unzip and double click it to run: (previewfix)

http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Music/9899/

Of course, you know that "view as web page" must be selected for the folder where you are viewing the images.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60187

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice