Solved Image Stuck in Scanner on Canon MX922 AIO

cwwozniak

Chuck
I have a Canon MX922 Printer/Scanner/Copier/Fax machine that has been working without issues up until today. A couple of weeks ago I scanned a 4x6 photo using GIMP without any problems. I used the copier function today and the copy looked as if I had left the photo on the platten and laid the document to be copied on top of it. I opened the lid and the photo wasn't there. The same thing happened after power cycling the printer.

I then started GIMP and selected File -> Create from scanner and before doing the actual scan, the scan box showed the photo. The actual scan showed the document overlayed with the photo, just like the copier output.

Since the problem happens in copier mode, am I safe to assume that the image of the photo is somehow stored in the MX922's internal memory and not related to any drivers or other software on the computer (Desktop running 64-bit Windows 10 Pro)? If it is somehow stuck in memory, is there a way to do a hard reset of the MX922 beyond it's reset menu options related to the web service, LAN settings, Telephone number, and something called Setting Only (which I tried)?

Couriant

James
Are you able to do a test scan? Typically when I do a scan it keeps the original image until i do another scan.

Also, it seems that powering down with no power cord should delete anything in memory of the printer.

cwwozniak

Chuck
I turned off the scanner by the front panel button and waited for it to shut down. I then unplugged the USB cable and power cord. I left it that way for about an hour and 45 minutes.

I then plugged in the power and left the USB cable unplugged. I pressed the power button and the print head moved around for about two seconds and stopped. I put a page from the Sunday newspaper magazine on the platen and pressed the Color copy button. It sounded like the print head went through a long self-cleaning cycle. I then heard the scanner head move and the copy came out with the old scan (A Sanskrit chant on a refrigerator magnet) blocking out part of the magazine page.

I reconnected the USB cable. I then used the Canon Image Garden App to do a scan. The scan had the same problem. I then did a scan using GIMP, using "WIA-Canon MX920 series 1.0 (32-32) as the source type, and got the same results. I exported the GIMP image as a JPG file that is attached here. When I had done the previous scan with GIMP I used "Canon MX920 series 19.1 (32-32)" as the source type. Those are the only two source types listed

I can't even think of a suitable set of terms for a Google search that does not return a lot of results for clearing jammed or stuck paper in the printer.

EDIT: I copied a page from a document thru the Automatic Document Feeder and it came out correctly. When copied the same page placing it on the platen, the problem was still there.

ScannerRetainingOld Scan.jpg

Last edited:

Couriant

James
OK, so to confirm:

The small box is the image that shows up on your scans if you use the flatbed part, whether you do a copy or a scan, but if you use the Automatic Document Feeder (ADF), your scans are fine?

That is very strange. I have never seen this while being in the copier business. The ADF and flatbed uses the same scanner bulb so I don't think there is a separate chip for that...

Have you tried a hard reset? (hold the stop button for about 20 seconds then the printer should start an alarm) This will remove anything you have configured (wireless, fax details, etc)

cwwozniak

Chuck
The small box is the image that shows up on your scans if you use the flatbed part, whether you do a copy or a scan, but if you use the Automatic Document Feeder (ADF), your scans are fine?
Correct

Have you tried a hard reset? (hold the stop button for about 20 seconds then the printer should start an alarm) This will remove anything you have configured (wireless, fax details, etc)
With the power on, holding the Stop button did not get any beeps or change on the display. I did go into the system settings and printed out my current settings and did a "Reset Everything". That did clear the problem. Now getting normal operation. Hooray.

Couriant

James
Awesome :) If it becomes a continual issue, I suspect one of the boards is not working as it should and may need to be replaced, or have Canon look at if you can get some support, even if it cost a few $.

cwwozniak

Chuck
I think I know the cause of the problem. A poltergeist has taken over my MX922.

For about two weeks, it was reporting the black pigment ink tank was running low. I printed a picture today and it reported the ink was out after the picture printed. I lifted the lid and opened the printhead access door. Instead of moving the printhead out of the parked position and stopping to get the tank changed, it moved the head back and forth and then made noises like it was going through a cleaning cycle and stopped with the head parked. I closed it all up and repeated opening it up. This time the printhead stopped and I could change the tank. It started the expected cleaning/priming cycle. I closed the paper output door and walked away. A few seconds later, I heard the output door open and a series of beeps. It was showing an access door open warning, even though the doors seemed closed. I had to open and close them twice before the error message went away. It is now sitting there all nice and quiet. Probably thinking how it can next mess with my mind. LoL

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Why am I hearing the Twilight Zone theme in my head? ;-)

cwwozniak

Chuck
I am thinking more along the lines of the opening of The Outer Limits. LoL

There is nothing wrong with your MX922. Do not attempt to adjust the scan settings. We are controlling print head cleaning. We will control all that you scan and print. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to the outer limits.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online