1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Image viewing question

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by colortini04, Jul 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. colortini04

colortini04 Thread Starter

Hi folks, I hope this is the right category to post this in. When I go to save a picture from the internet to my computer, the only option it gives me is to save it as .bmp--as opposed to .jpg, .gif, etc. How do I change this?

Thanks

2. acraftylady

acraftylady

If you are using the AOL browswer and having this trouble at the top of the AOL borwswer click settings, preferecnes and internet properties. In there click the tab for AOL browswer and make sure to tick the one that says never compress graphics, other wise you will only get art and bitmap choice if it's set the other way. I am on 8.0 and that's how you get there so I am not sure if it's the same spot for 9.0. If you are not using AOL then someone else will have to tell you what to do.

3. colortini04

yeah, not using aol :(

but thank you for your response :)

4. acraftylady

acraftylady

Sorry, most of the time when people ask this it's because they are using AOL and need to change that setting and don't realize it. I have read this can happen if your temporary internet files folder is filled so I would try clearing that and see if it helps. If it worked fine before and just started doing this maybe something you installed changed it or maybe spyware? Hopefully someone will know how to fix this for you.

5. jjb

jjb

If you use internet explorer according to the article here
    this is a common problem. The article provides the link to the microsoft knowledge base article relating to this and how to correct it.....................................hope this is what you are looking for :)

jjb

6. colortini04

still not working:( Everytime I go to clear the Files, my computer freezes up. Everytime I've tried to do that with every computer it always freezes for some reason.

Is there another way to fix this problem?
    Thanks everyone once again,
    Adam

7. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Thats probably a good indication that its VERY full of temporary files.

Leave it for an hour and see if it recovers. It may be cataloging the files for removal, and that could take a while. There are probably 10's of thousands?

8. acraftylady

acraftylady

Have you gone into system tools and ran disk cleanup and defrag lately or check disk? Maybe that will help. When you run disk clean up you can also click more options and clean up all but the most recently used restore points. Try opening IE and typing %temp% and see if you can clear the temp files that way but if there are a lot don't clear them all at once see if you can clear them a couple at a time. Maybe if the computer is freezing a lot you have spyware. Have you tried adaware and spybot?

9. colortini04

yeah, i think i'm free of spyware b/c i have a few programs running to block it and everything seems fine but yeah, let me defrag and i'll see if that helps....thanks

10. acraftylady

acraftylady

Having programs to block it is good, I use spywareblaster for that. Have you ran an updated adaware and spybot just see if it finds anything? I couldn't hurty anyway to be on the safe side. If you are free of spyware and have done all your maintenace then I have no clue, something might be wrong with the computer and I know nothing about fixing that stuff. Did all these problems just start recently?

11. colortini04

Well, no spyware(I use that one, too--it's very good)...and it was working fine for a day or 2 saving it as JPG and not bitmap but as soon as I went to save another pic today it o ly gave me bitmap and that same pic last night had the jpg format choice, too. So I defragmented again and it still doesn't work. I have no clue now.

12. hewee

hewee

13. acraftylady

acraftylady

What version of Windows are you using? Did this just start or has it always been like this since you got the computer?

14. colortini04

Just started...I have XP

15. acraftylady

acraftylady

Guess it's a common problem in XP. Here's a link to an MS article that might help. MS Maybe you could try a reapir of XP and a reapair of IE if you are using that. Did you get your temp and temp internet files cleared yet? Were you able to run check disk? I still think it has to do with the temp files because when I search that topic I keep coming up with this all over.

Can't save .Gif or Jpeg files when right clicked.

This apparently happens when your IE Temporary Internet Files cache becomes stuffed. In IE, go to Tools >> Internet Options and on the "General" tab click the button marked "Delete Files" under the heading "Temporary Internet Files".

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/248917

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice