1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Images and Partitions

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Tact, Apr 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tact

Tact Thread Starter

Hi everyone. I was hoping to get a few answers today about making an image of my hard drive.

The thing is, I really would like to make one in order to make formats and reinstallations a lot faster and easier so I won't have to go through that whole mess every time i reinstall XP. But I have partitions on my hard drive and i'm afraid that if i did use an image, it would delete my partitions.

This happend to me not long ago on another computer of mine. It was getting pretty crappy and it never had a format, so i thought it was time. However this computer doesn't have a cd-rw drive so i couldn't make any backups. so what i did was i made a seperate partition, backed up everything in there, and then used the restore cd that came with the computer. and sadly, the restore cd cleared the partition, and erased EVERYTHING.

but that's old news now.

now my questions is, I would like to make my own image of ONLY my operation system. (only drive C because i keep the os seperate from everything--i install my programs on drive D [partition])

is there anyway i can make a image that won't delete my other partitions?

the only idea i got is if i make a image of everything, but then that would be too much. i have over 60 gigs of junk you know. (good junk lol) and i'm not in any mood to image that. i only want to image my os.

so i'm just wondering..is this possible without deleting any of my partitions, or is there a way around this?

note: i have 4 partitions total. 2 are on the first drive, and 2 on the other.
    drive 1
    c: (os)
    d: (programs)

drive 2
    e: (my stuff)
    f: (installation files)

let me know. thanks again.

2. mobo

mobo

What you would need then are a C, D & E drive as well as software like norton ghost or drive image. Then just run the program and put the image on D drive which will be compressed down to save space. then you woyuld never need a restore cd again. Simply run the program to restore the image to c drive and D drive never gets touched..

I would advise that If you do decide to do this then do a complete fresh reinstall to c drive as well as install all the programs you like then get all working as you like. Then create a bcckup on a separate partition which will be fresh , without errors and would only take minutes to restore the way you like it.

3. Tact

Tact Thread Starter

i already have the c,d,e, and f drives.

so your saying, that the image won't touch my partitions? even if one of them is on the same drive? how is that possible? i really have my doubts because of what happend to me with my other computer. that restore cd was basically a norton ghost image.

will the image i make, also have the information that i HAVE seperate partitions? maybe tha'ts why the other one didn't work, because the restore cd had an image with only one partition. therefore, it couldn't leave d alone...hm...maybe that's what happend.

please correct me if i'm wrong, so when i make my image, a certain piece of information will be inserted into the image of my c drive, which contains the information (not actual data) of all my other drives and partitions, and so because of this, when i apply it one day, it won't touch my other partitions or drives, it will just make sure it doesn't get rid of them? is that kinda how it works.

that would definately explain why the restore cd's image, deleted my partition, because it was an image made BEFORE the partition was created.

if i am correct in my general idea, please let me know. thank you for your help. all i need now is confirmation. :)

4. mobo

mobo

Ill explain what I have here then..My xp system is on C drive, my D drive is for documents i keep and stuff, then E drive is a backup partition which contains the image of C drive when It was first installed with fresh software installations and all windows updates..

Anytime I want to restore all i have to do while in xp is go to program files / drive image/ restore image/ then a few more clicks and return in 15 minutes and its back to new..

5. Tact

Tact Thread Starter

can i do that with a cd image?

i understand how it works. i just can't shake off the fear that the image will clean my d partition because its in the same drive.

6. mobo

mobo

As long as you only image the c drive and put the image on its own separate little partition by itself i see no problems.

7. Tact

Tact Thread Starter

thank you for your help. :) i really appreciate it.

8. mobo

mobo

Anytime and good luck.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223010

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice