1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

images in MS Word

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Ziggy1, Jul 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ziggy1

Ziggy1 Thread Starter

when I am making a document in word, I often add images from the clipboard. I capture the images by pressing "PrtSCR" key ( basically the entire screen shot). I then paste and crop and Crop in Word. I also use the "ALT-PrtSCR" to capture an active window.

the problem is that the images end up creating a large file, can any one suggest a good method (quick one) for capturing screen shots and pasting them. Is there a default that can be altered to maybe paste images to a lower image size (lesser quality)?

I would rather work in Word and not flip back and forth between programs (a 3rd program), also so you understand wht i am doing....I am creating instructions step by step for a program, so I repeatidly flip back and forth adding images and text.

Thanks

Ziggy

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Nope the only way I find to do it is paste into paint and save at a lower quality and then copy into word. There may be some 3rd party tools for the screen capture function that manipulate the size of the file copied to clipboard but there definitely isn't a way to do this within word itself.

3. Ziggy1

Ziggy1 Thread Starter

Thanks

I found this program..... http://www.gadwin.com/printscreen/

It is handy and lets you resize, I'll have to experiment to see if it works for me. The captured image goes to the clipboard so i can use it the same way i am now (You can assign hotkey)

thanks.

4. ChuckE

ChuckE

By capturing and pasting, as you are doing, it is pasting the image as a bitmap.
    Instead of pasting immediately into Word, as you are doing, first paste the image into a picture viewing/editing tool, like IrfanView, but there are many others, and then save the image as either a JPG (good if there are >256 colors) or GIF (if less than 256 colors).
    Then just Insert your saved image using the usual Word commands.

By the way, even MS Paint can now save images as JPG or GIF, so you could use the tools you already have on your PC.

Oh, one last point. If you are cropping in Word, I do believe that the cropping is just 'hiding' portions of the whole image. The full number of bytes remain, and so, cropping does not make the file size any smaller.
    Try this ... check out the byte size of your file, then crop the enclosed picture down to just a pixel wide and high. Then save the file, and see if the file size has gotten appreciably smaller.
    (Note: first ensure that your Tools>Options>Save, Allow fast saves is shut off, else your edits remain and the file almost never gets smaller - since all the edits remain in the document, as well.)

5. Ziggy1

Ziggy1 Thread Starter

That is the part I am trying to avoid, I know how to do what you are saying, but when you are taking multiple screen shots after another and adding text as you go, it gets quite tedious to continuously edit the image to a appropriate size (byte wise). I agree with you on the cropping in Word, there is a button to rest the picture and it goes back to it's full size.

6. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

I only have later versions of Office, but if they are the same as Office 2000, the fix is:

Right click the image, select "Format Picture"
    On the Format dialog box that appears there is a "compress image" button
    That will give the option of compressing just that image or all images, and compressing for printing or viewing.

Beyond that, I have always found the bloat to be a problem with images.

7. amrkam

amrkam

I usually do similar tasks to yours...

I use printscrn and I always paste in Paint... and save as JPG... file size never exceeds 150 KB and quality is very good.. then i use microsoft photoeditor to crop... so by using simple windows tools you can get good quality and small file size..

in case better quality files needed but still not very big size.. i tried many programs.. but recently i resorted to Adobe photoshop... you dont have to know any of the functions it has.. u just create a new file and paste and then save as JPG.. where you will get the option to choose the quality on a scale from 0-9... the higher quality give you bigger file size and so on...

8. Ziggy1

Ziggy1 Thread Starter

Kiwi, I'll have to check that option for compression on one of the Office XP machines in our office. that sounds like something I could use. 2000 does not have the option to compress,

AmrKam

That file I listed above http://www.gadwin.com/printscreen/

Copies/Pastes as a Jpg format, depending on how you configure the options it saves screen shots one after another and numbers them, plus every time you capture one it is copied to the clip board in the same way Windows does it. also there is an E-mail option that generates an e-mail of the captured screen shot (but much smaller file size than normal)...I just don't want the hassle of editing in a 3rd program all the time...even with these programs saving the file for me I can quickly import it to word.

9. ChuckE

ChuckE

I have Office XP (or called 2003) and in looking at the "Format Picture" option of images placed in a Word document, here is what I think it does.

First, the images do not appear to be bitmaps. The reason I say that is because I placed a 3.5MB bitmap file into a Word doc and then saved the file, and the saved doc was only about 250k bytes. So, evidently the image is compressed somehow.

I believe the compression appears to be either JPG or something similar, since the artifacts similar to what JPG does appear to be in the embedded image. Also the same original BMP image, when saved as a JPG also was about 240k bytes, so that is close to the size the Word doc with only the image is also.

I then took that Word doc and went through the selections to "Format Picture" and to compress it. I did not do any cropping of the picture. The result was a Word doc file that was still 250K bytes big. So compression did not appear to compress anything.

There were selections to change the resolution of the picture. But all that does is change the dpi (dots per inch) recorded in the image. Which does not change the image or the image quality on the screen. It only affects the printing of the image IF the printer you use observes the dpi information. (BTW, the dpi info is only a byte or two of data in a hidden area of an image.) Setting the resolution to 'Print' my setup of Word seems to think that is '200dpi', or setting the resolution to 'Web/Screen' then Word seems to think that is 96dpi. (Neither would be my choices, but perhaps Word has a setting somewhere I could change my defaults to, if I wanted to. I don't.)

However, I see that there were selections to delete cropped portions of the image. I would guess that (if it worked that way) then if I had a picture that I cropped down to a smaller viewable portion, that that selection may save some bytes. However I really did not notice any appreciable difference here. Perhaps I am doing something wrong.

Anyway, I'm just saying, I would not depend upon Words "Format Picture" options to save me any image space. I would just use other image tools to resize, crop, or reduce color depth (which can save image space), before embedding an image into Word. If I cared.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488109

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice