1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Imaging Harddrive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LordPython, Aug 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LordPython

LordPython Thread Starter

Well, I could't fix the problems with my computer, but I narrowed it down to either my motherboard or C drive....so I bought new ones. I currently have my new drive set up as a slave, and I want to make an image of my current C drive onto it, so that way I don't have to reinstall/setup everything. I have never done anything like this before, and would like some help before I try it on my own. Can Windows do this? Do I need special software? I am running Windows XP Pro.

2. qldit

qldit

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If your drive was defective, how are you going to read it to image it to the other drive?

4. qldit

qldit

Good Morning JohnWill, yes the drive integrity will need to be determined beforehand.
    Were you aware of this LP?

One easy method to see if a problem will happen is to obtain this HDDRegenerator trial program from
    http://www.dposoft.net/
    Make a bootable media with it. (preferably CD)

Boot on it and follow the defaults and the HDDRegenerator program will run.
    This will scan the drive without altering any data on it.
    It will fix one "bad" spot but may be rerun for a second (When drives really fail they have dozens of bads)

If this program can run successfully it does indicate there will likely be no problem with a clone.

The partition logic can be downloaded off the net and contains it's own operating system so there should be no problem with it.

As John suggests your problem will be in the area of your having changed the motherboard which will naturally mean your clone will be no better operationally than the drive operational status you already have.

Confirm the present operating system drive is the subject one you wish to clone and that it is fully functional.
    Ensure the material on the drive is well defragged before beginnning any of this.

qldit.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, he narrowed it down to the MB or drive. My guess would be drive if I were playing the odds. ;)

6. qldit

qldit

Yes John, But I kind of got the impression the subject drive was functioning and was currently in use.

BTW, I have just done a clone with that Partition Logic free program using a 13 gig drive and going to a 6gig drive using W-ME for the test.
    The operation was straight forward and obviously does what its information claims without problem.
    The target drive was clean and pre-formatted but it may not be neccessary to do this.
    I have not tried it with NTFS yet.
    It also has a decent kind of partitioning ability which I compared with other partitioning programs and would suggest it is in the upper bracket of useful tools.
    I placed and ran the Partition Logic on a CD.

Definitely interesting exercise.

Cheers, qldit.

7. raybro

raybro

According to your original post, I have to assume you have some reason to believe you original HDD is OK. If that is the case, I suggest you download BootItNG from thsi site, create a floppy from it and use it to create an image of your C:\ drive as you requested.

If your original HDD containing your OS is toast, you can forget this as an alternative.

Raybro

8. LordPython

Well, it turned out to be my MotherBoard. However, after I installed the new motherboard and put my hard drives and everything back in, I got a blue screen when I booted it up. I did some research and found that Windows XP stores info on your MotherBoard and since I changed it, windows "couldn't find" the motherboard and so it figured there was an error. So, no imaging can be done I guess, I did a new install of XP on the new hard drive and am now trying to go thru and reinstall my apps. I am having trouble with some settings, but I'll make a new post for that.

EDIT: My hard drive is good, I have it installed as my slave drive right now so that I can copy info off of it, before I replace it with my real slave drive.

9. qldit

qldit

Good Afternoon LordPython, yes a hard drive windows installation is specific to the motherboard and devices where it was originally installed, unless identical components are replaced it will most likely not function in a different situation.
    If the M/B is replaced it is usually best to reinstall windows with the new board.

Anytime you do an clean install, ensure the components and memory are operating properly.
    As soon as a basic install is completed the specific M/B drivers need to be installed before other software.
    Expect problems if a logical order is not followed.

Cheers, qldit.

10. LordPython

THanks for the info qldit, I actually did just that. I installed XP and then inserted the MB CD and went thru the device manager and eliminated all the yellows. :)

11. qldit

qldit

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/491190

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice