1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Imaging software

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by cyberpac9, Dec 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cyberpac9

cyberpac9 Thread Starter

I'm looking for the "best" imaging software. If I had my preferences they'd be: free (or cheap) and easy to use (shadow copy for example). A really "nice to have" - hardware independence (able to install on another machine even if not 100% the same machine, like a MB change).

2. bkmgy

bkmgy

My best choice is Irfanview. "IrfanView is one of the longest-serving and most popular freeware image editors available." - CNET

3. Laz123

Laz123 Banned

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

He is talking about DISK imaging.

It is unlikely that any disk image you take will work fully on another machine although some do get close if the target is identical.

There are things like licence keys that are tied to the hardware and actually use hardware identity keys to check the licence.

Windows is one.

5. cyberpac9

cyberpac9 Thread Starter

Correct, I was talking about disk imaging, sorry.

I am aware of licensing issues, especially with Windows. These are mostly tied to MB (as far as I'm aware). I recently had a fairly new MB die on a machine and had to buy another. Problem was, the specific MB I had die was no longer available. I bought another and contacted MS. They transferred the key no problem.

6. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

7. cyberpac9

cyberpac9 Thread Starter

Acronis is one I've had my eye on. I'm not set on free, of course would just prefer it. I'm cheap. :D I *do* have a WD drive, so that might be a good thing. Looking now...thanks!

8. Laz123

Laz123 Banned

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082821

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice