1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Imaging [ to DVD ] software or method, please

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by rainforest123, Dec 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rainforest123

rainforest123 Thread Starter

I apologize if I am guilty of double posting.

Earlier today, I started http://forums.techguy.org/windows-7/1029852-w7-creating-image.html , in hopes that someone could tell me how to use W7's backup utility to create an image to DVDs.

Thus far, I have not found an answer.

Thus, to my fall back position:
    If not, are you aware of a 3rd party program available which provides me with the opportunity to create an image without installing the program? Why would I want to do that? Because I want to avoid the remote, but real, possibility of file corruption during /after the 3rd party program has been installed.

I am skilled in the use of Acronis True Image to clone my HDDs.

W7 Pro 32 bit, NTFS
    Fresh / Clean instal
    80 GB HDD, SATA

Thanks for your time. :)

RF123

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I accept your apology, and closed the other thread.

I've never done it, nor would I want to, but it was my understanding that Windows 7's "Create a system image" works with DVDs (see attachment). Are you asking how to get to that point (attachment) or is something not working?

Attached Files:

3. rainforest123

rainforest123 Thread Starter

TN:
    Thanks for your generosity.

I've gotten beyond the screen shots.

After selecting my DVD drive [ either one ] [ each a Plextor PX 810SA ], I do not have the option to select the image. Instead, I am informed that I am informed that the selected backup location does not support the creation of system images.

From that which I have read, W7's backup & imaging works only with HDDs. It might work with flash drives. I haven't tried it.

In W7's Backup & Imaging, I selected 1 of my optical drives, in which I had placed a DVD - R disk. I STILL couldn't select the image option, but I was given the option of backing up my C: to a DVD.

From within W7, after rebooting, I tested the backup, using W7's Backup & Imaging & the DVD I made [ above ] , but some files could not be backed up because they were in use.

I booted to the WRE & tried to restore from an image, but W7 wouldn't look at my optical drives; not even with the backup disk in the optical drive.

Thanks, again, Terry.

RF123

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Acronis True Image is not meant to be a drive cloner. Nobody semsible would ever buy it for cloning when there are so many excellent and better free ones. Its main purpose is imaging and it easily burns images to DVD which are bootable and have the Acronis program on them.

As do most of these:

Free drive backup software (imaging, cloning, and archiving - backups can be created on a second hard drive, internal or external, or on DVD's, or BluRay disks. One BluRay disk will hold most peoples' entire system drive's backup at 25 GB's using compressed images):

Paragon Backup & Recovery (Recovery boot CD or USB key)
    Macrium Reflect (Free)
    O&O Disk Image Express or (mirror)
    Easeus Todo Backup
    Redo Backup & Recovery (Boot CD)
    Clonezilla Live (A bootable CD of Debian with Clonezilla.)
    Drive Image XML
    PING (Partimage is not Ghost) (Boot CD with option Clam Antivirus)
    Partition Saving
    Clonezilla
    Passmark OSFClone (Bootable, cloning only)

There are also many commercial products with more features.

And this:

Parted Magic disk partitoning tool (Bootable CD image)
    If you prefer a bootable USB key, download and run Linux Live USB Creator. Choose the Parted Magic distro, and it will download it and automatically create a bootable USB key.

This CD (or key) contains many useful tools. You can partition, recover files, recover lost partitions, make disk images (by several different methods), transfer files between media, scan for viruses (It can serve as an Alternative Trusted Platform for search and elimination of rootkits and bootkits), examine and benchmark hardware, access the internet, and much more.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029870

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice