1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Imaging Vs cloning

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Al Napa, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Al Napa

Al Napa Thread Starter

The cloning of an HD Vs imaging it has not been settled, at least not for me. Acronis is a good imaging program, maybe the best, if that is all you want. Casper XP is a really good cloning program. Unfortunately for me, there is a conflict with it & something in my computer that prevents it from working completely. This very likely is an isolated problem; but still I & their tech could not find it.

So, seeing how it is that I still want a duplicate, bootable HD running as a D drive, I'm asking for help in a work around. I already have and keep via "save as" all my files. I mean all! Yet, I do not have the OS nor programs on it. Can I at least install XP & SP2 on it with the files already there and then just guts out the time it takes to reinstall the programs? I have quite a few programs, some I do have install disks for, some are downloads that might be hard to re-find, some are downloads that are paid for and might not be downloadable a second time without paying again. And then all my settings will have to been redone.

You can see why I've hesitated going forward, trying all available options first. (I even have the word out for a copy of Ghost.)

I really want to switch D & C as D is bigger and better suited to be in the C position. Neither drive is partitioned.

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Ghost works for me!!!
    but Acronis TI Home 10 will CLONE a disk as well

3. Al Napa

Al Napa Thread Starter

I have the Acronis program and right up front they say it will image a disk. That's not what I consider clonning where a swapable disk is created - a disk with the OS and all the programs ready to boot. With Acronis you can make one of these but that's not what I'm wanting to do.

4. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

What is it you want to do? :confused:

5. DaveBurnett

If you read the blurb for Acronis TI 10 Home it DOES specifically say it will prepare a new disk and clone the old one to it.
    It will of course also create an image if you choose to.

Attached Files:

6. Moby

Moby

Even going back to Version 8, Acronis has always been able to both image and clone a drive.

Attached Files:

7. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Which Version of Casper .... 4.0 is due out soon for Vista ...
    The only problem I've had with Casper .. It doesn't like an OEM fat32 recovery Partition.
    Solution ... Get rid of it.

Sounds to me like you need to Partition so that the OS is in one partition and all you data is in another.

My D: .. Is a fresh install, fully loaded, updated and ready to go.
    Just rewrote my working C: (from D) last nite with Casper 3.0...
    and was backup and running in ~ 15 minutes.

Is this something like this ... what you want to do ???

Attached Files:

• AA1.gif
      AA1.gif
      File size:
      52.9 KB
      Views:
  8. DaveBurnett

I don't doubt it.
    I was only looking at the version I have on this OS at the moment.

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Even Acronis 7 would clone disks. :)

10. Moby

Moby

I know Dave, I was talking to Al napa using V 8 along with your 10 to emphasize that TI has always been able to clone disks.
    While you're there though ;) and Johnwill - any reason I should go to version 10 from 8?
    I use it for imaging only at the moment and always will, but am open to a better back programme for day to day files etc. I understand 10 does 'normal' backups to. What format does it save these in? I would be prefer simple copying to other drives for individual files/folders.
    Thanks

11. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    A compressed (file name).tib data file.
    only ATI can read/recover these backup data files ... or mount them as a Virtual Drive.
    For individual Data Files n Folders .. What's wrong with Copy n Paste ?

Version 10 supports backing up to .. and recovery from ... DVDs.
    The newest version 10, build 4940, supports Vista and solves the Vista MBR Cloning/Recovery problem.

12. DaveBurnett

For daily backup, just set up a batch file to run to COPY the important files on start-up or close.
    That is what I do.
    I have tried the incremental backup in TI and it takes almost as long as the full one does, so why bother.

Whoops - same reply

13. Moby

Moby

Favourites, playlists, address book, music, pics, passwords, blacklists, emails etc etc are all in different places. It takes ages.
    I use Argentum Backup at the moment so one click sets of 11 'copy and paste' jobs, to various different drives at the same time/or in the correct order.
    Anyone got a link to learn about/create batch files? It's about time I started on them.
    Thanks for the info folks.

14. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If version 8 still does the job for you with no issues, I guess I can't see any reason to spend more money. :)

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!