1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Imaging Windows 8 with older versions of Acronis True Image

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by MisterGumby, Feb 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MisterGumby

MisterGumby Thread Starter

Hello. I'm reluctant to buy/install True Image 2013 on my Windows 8 system until Acronis have fixed the problems with TI 13.

In theory, my version of True Image (2010) is incompatible with Windows 8 but I wondered if I could boot from a TI 2010 CD and image my Windows 8 C drive from there. TI 2010 wouldn't know/care about the OS? Or am I missing something?

Failing that, any recommendations on alternative imaging software would be welcome.

2. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    I did think it was worthwhile to purchase the 2013 version. However, until then, I was using 2009 from a boot cd, for imaging Windows 8. As you say, the OS should not be aware, as the program is loaded into memory before working. I am sure the same principle applies with ver. 2010. The imaging is no problem but, of course, you will miss the scheduling from the installed program.

3. MisterGumby

Great. Many thanks davehc. I'll buy 2013 in due course but this morning received my new XPS 15 and want to image it incrementally as I build my system. Haven't booted it yet - was ice-cold when delivered and so perhaps covered in condensation internally.

Having said "in due course"...are you happy with 2013? Works well for you? If so, perhaps I'll get on and buy without delay, so that I can continue with my scheduled data back-ups, etc.

4. MisterGumby

The reviews are generally favourable so I caved in and bought TI 2013

5. davehc

First Name:
    David
    Works very well M8. It has a couple of new functions and the menu is just a little different - but no problem. Looks like you are pretty experienced with it's use, but, in case, what I always do, as soon as I have finally got to the desktop, is make a backup. That is only for expedients. But I then activate it and make another back up. That one becomes the base for any outstanding problems in the future. As you are aware, the advantage of that is the activation stays with the image so renewal is not needed. Then come my big deal! I install all my software and configure it. - Yet another backup, but this is my "working model".. After that, it's up to the individual. Lot of initial work, perhaps but, by golly, it saves a lot of grief later.

6. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

I've had nothing but trouble with Acronis True Image 2010. It's always been unstable and buggy. Not mentioning their poor excuse of a customer support, oh boy! I'm not going back to Acronis, ever!

I'm not using it anymore, but I do find Try & Decide very useful. That, I still use regularly.

I really hope they got their act together with version 2013, for your sake.

7. davehc

First Name:
    David
    I am sorry you have been so unsuccessful. I have been involved in Beta testing of earlier MS products, and do quite a lot of third party testing on Microsoft OS's. As a result, I find it easier and safer to constantly keep images running. Can't really recall, but I think I started using Acronis sometime around about 5 Years ago. I swear to you I have never had a failure, or a hiccup, in that time.

8. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Probably depends on computer configuration, I guess.

9. MisterGumby

Phantom010 - I've been using TI through several versions without significant problems, including TI 2010 since upgrading to Win7 when it was first available, so am happy to take a chance on 2013 for my Win8 machine. I do recognise that many people have had problems with TI 2010 but suspect you're right - it depends on your config.

Thanks davehc. First thing I tried to do was boot from CD so that I could image the drive before even firing it up, but some sort of security policy prevented CD boot. Never mind, I guess I can create recovery DVDs. As soon as I've finished setup and activation, I'll install TI and image the drive, then take further images at every significant stage. And I'll be backing up the images to another drive - belt and braces but, as you say, it'll be worth it one day. You only have to be saved by an image once, to make it all worthwhile.

Have you tried the TI 2013 Migration Assisitant? I'm not clear on whether it will migrate apps like Office from Win7 to Win8 and save the activation hassle.

10. raybro

raybro

Are you aware of the UEFI Win 8 uses instead of the old BIOS? If not, it is something you should learn about. In order to boot from anything other than the internal hard drive, one must change the boot settings in UEFI.

11. prunejuice

prunejuice

I had trouble imaging Windows 8 with True Image 2011, but TeraByte worked perfectly.

12. MisterGumby

Thanks prunejuice. I created my first Windows 8 image without any trouble, using TI 2013. Will try restoring it to a fresh HDD, to check it.

And thanks raybro - I'd heard of UEFI and when I looked at the bios it was certainly different! I tried going into Boot Options and choosing CD but that's when I got a security error. I'll go and educate myself on UEFI.

What a lot of helpful people around here!

13. raybro

raybro

To boot into a CD/DVD. Open boot options (F12 at boot) and using the arrow keys select Change boot mode settings and hit Enter. Then select Legacy Mode, Secure boot Off and hit Enter. On reboot, Hit F2 (Setup), arrow key to Boot, and set boot order so CD drive is before Hard drive.

Assuming that all works, you must go back and reset to UEFI Mode, Secure boot on when done before you can boot back into Windows in normal manner.

FYI... I have Acronis TI 2013 installed on my Win 8 machine and I have found Easeus ToDo (free version) to be more useful the TI. I used Easeus to create a clone on an SSD with no problems (after I learned a bit about SSD's). I was unsuccessful in doing the operation with Acronis.

14. davehc

First Name:
    David
    I haven't paid much attention to alternatives, but raybro's comment on Eusus interested me. Downloaded and installed and ran it. How was your experience with the time? It took 45 minutes to copy my hard drive, which takes 12 minutes with Acronis. This was a bit of a shocker. With this particular operation, I am not normally in a hurry, but that was a little over the top.

15. Elvandil

Elvandil

Paragon's products are without equal (at least in my mind). Every program usually includes far more than it appears to at first. You get defrag with partition management tools, for example. I've had nothing but good luck with all their products. Even tools like the "boot fixer" does an amazing job of fixing just about any boot problem that it is possible to fix (it obviously can't "fix" a really smashed OS so it will boot).

I once had a machine that Acronis just would not install on (something to do with snapman.sys, that driver that you can never remove even if you remove Acronis without making the system unbootable) and used Paragon Drive Backup instead. I restored once, but never had a hiccough using it. They have "reduced" versions of a lot of tools, and some tools for admins (free) that are really indispensable at times.

http://www.paragon-software.com/index.html

(I got the Hard Disk Manager Suite. It includes just about all their tools, and makes images, too, of course. It is often the only CD I bring to a sick machine. It can convert back and forth between real and virtual machines of all the major VM companies. And a tool called "Adaptive Restore" strips an OS of all its drivers for installation on new hardware.)

Free Paragon tools for imaging, partitioning, and recovery:

http://www.paragon-software.com/free/

But, there are a lot of other good ones, too.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089615

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice