1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved IMAP error adding Gmail to Outlook 2016 - Windows 10

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by tgrover54, Jun 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tgrover54

tgrover54 Thread Starter

I am baffled by this one, and hope someone can help. I've installed literally dozens of gmail accounts into Outlook for clients, but this one is giving me fits. Every time I try to enter the account into a new Outlook 2016, the program hangs and then gives me an error message about an IMAP error, saying "Your IMAP server wants to alert you to the following:" with an error number and a link to "answers" from Google. Now, I know Outlook and Google very well. The suggestions they give are the ones I have already done:
    • enabled less secure apps access to the account
    • double-checked that the password is correct and logged into the account online
    • enabled IMAP connection in Gmail settings
    • logged in through the CAPTCHA site suggested, though no CAPTCHA appeared
    • checked to be sure that two-step verification is NOT turned on
    • created a brand new profile through the Mail section of Control Panel
    • entered suggested Gmail server and port settings manually
    My method is to create a profile without an email account so that I'll have a pst file to contain contacts and calendar. Then, I add the email account. This is just crazy, I've never seen anything like it. Ideas would be most welcome!

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    imap in outlook 2016 usually sets up ost files

you have enabled the less secure app option
    imap is setup on gmail account settings

have you tried a different gmail account at all ?

3. tgrover54

tgrover54 Thread Starter

Not in this user, but the other user on the same computer is using his gmail in Outlook with no problems.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    that is strange
    is this a local user acount on the PC
    or a workPC with a domain
    or are they using MSAccounts to signin ?

5. tgrover54

tgrover54 Thread Starter

They are both using Microsoft accounts to sign in. It is a personal home computer.

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    can you try and add - user2 email to user1 outlook and see if you get the same errors

7. tgrover54

tgrover54 Thread Starter

Thanks for keeping with me on this. I won't see them again until next week, but if it is still not going in, I will try that. This is so bizarre!

8. tgrover54

tgrover54 Thread Starter

Update! When I went back to the client, I had already created the new Outlook profile. Before doing so, I actually checked the gmail settings again (less secure apps, imap enabled, no two-step verification) and ended up changing the password, because the client had already forgotten her password for the new account (a discussion for another topic chain!). When I went to add the account in Outlook, it went in like a charm. So this is resolved, and I might suggest to people that they reset the password and be sure to make it secure with symbols, etc.

9. ashutosh73

ashutosh73

thankyou for your informatiom....

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1172664

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice