1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IMORTANT: Handy Hint......

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by e-liam, Sep 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. e-liam

e-liam Thread Starter

Hi all,

My handy hint for the day,

Don't spill your tea over the keyboard. It makes it sticky, your PC takes takes the opportunity to show off it's full audio potential with all manner of annoying beeping sounds, you waste a perfectly good cuppa; and worst of all, you have to go out and buy a new one. :eek: :D :D

Yes, I committed the cardinal sin, and any of you sitting in front of your monitor, take heed. :p

Mind you, I've just bought myself a Labtec Internet keyboard, (£13) (y) and it's lovely.

My last one was so old, it didn't even have a Windows button, so perhaps it was time anyway.

Any handy cleaning tips for tea soaked keyboards?? I may then be able to salvage it as a spare for my old W95 PC. :)

Cheers

Liam

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

I gots a waterproof keyboard...

3. e-liam

e-liam Thread Starter

Hi gotrootdude,

Thanks for those comforting words.. :D

Cheers

Liam

4. twotugs

twotugs

http://www.net4tv.com/voice/story.cfm?storyid=1032

Or, you can wait until the next time your computer absolutely tees you off, and take out your frustration on the crapped-out keyboard! Take it out to the driveway or parking lot, swing it by the cord, and smash it onto the pavement. The explosion of keys, springs, and plastic shards will give you a satisfying sense of justice being done.

Have band-aids handy in case something goes wrong.

5. hewee

hewee

Take the keys off and wash them. Just mark down where each goes so uoi get them back in the right places.

6. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    A friend and I were once goofing around on the computer and enjoying a glass of wine.

I don't know how he managed it but he suceeded in smashing the glass against the keyboard.

Murdered keyboard: $20
    1/6 of a bottle of very good Burgundy: $5
    Broken Bohemian Crystal tulip: $12
    Look of stunned surprise on his face: Priceless!

7. lisaa7002

lisaa7002

lmao! Now That was a comercial I'd like to see!

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

FWIW, you can usually disassemble the keyboard and wash it out. Of course, this is normally best before the wine dries, it gets a lot trickier after it's dried.

9. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    My keyboard shorted out and died instantly. But with keyboards being super-cheap they are virtually disposable. For $10 you can have a spare one on hand.

My keyboard is an old NEC soft touch board from 1996. I love the look and feel of it so I have no intentions of replacing it. It gets quite grungy so what I do is remove all the keys, wash them, then carefull clean the key bed. Once all is shiny clean again I put the keys back on. The entire operation takes about 2 hours.

10. xicotic

xicotic

I am all up to date on my system, mouse, even a 21inch monitor but the one thing I will never give up is my OLD IBM keyboard I don't have a windows key and never found a use for one when I have tried other keyboards I always come back to the IBM and its virtually indestructible I have poured coffee, pop, and food particles into it and i simply pop out the keys and wash it out with warm water... :D

11. hewee

hewee

He hee I like my old IBM keyboard too but I need a new one because the letters are gone on many of the buttons.

12. KeithKman

KeithKman

I never drink around my PC... :D

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165016

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice