Import AD & Group Policys

Trex142

I am running windows server 2016 and i would like to do a fresh install to server 2019. Is it possible to import and export all my active directory users and groups and group policys from 2016 to 2019? If so how would i do this?

Fireflycph

Morten
It is possible. But it is a lot of work. Do you only have one server or can you create a temp server and make it a temporary domain controller? Then when everything is synchronized you can transfer the FSMO roles and demote the Server 2016. Install 2019 and make it a Domain controller and transfer FSMO roles to that.

Any particular reason you want a clean install and not an in-place upgrade? Then all you need to do is the "Adprep" a few times and voila (hopefully)

i would not bother try exporting and importing the AD. just grap some machine and make it a domain controller. everything will sync over. after that you can install WS2019 and make it the controller again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online