1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Import Complicated CSV/XML files to MYSQL

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by vmpsbiz, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vmpsbiz

vmpsbiz Thread Starter

Hello, I have a database in MySQL 5.1 and have PHP 5.3 and Filezilla on my server. I know how to manually import the files I have into my database after changing the headers to match the ones in my database, which I have done already just to get the products on the site but in order to update my products on an hourly or daily basis I am not sure how to do that. I have seen some software programs that let you upload files from your desktop to update, but the files are not on my desktop they are on the suppliers website or coming from a webfeed. I do not want to have to download the files on a daily basis to my desktop and then manually change the headers every day.

So what I need to do is...

1. Find/write a PHP script(or some other type of script such as javascript or html) that can convert the names from each file from the suppliers site of webfeed to the headers that my database recognises before being uploading into the database.

2. Find a software program or script to take the files from the suppliers website or webfeed, use the script from step one to convert the headers and then upload the data into my database to update the inventory.

The biggest problem I have is the fact that each supplier has a different format of headers for their webfeed/data file. All files are in either CSV. or XML.

I do have a very basic knowledge of PHP and HTML just not enough to know how to do this from scratch. I do not mind using more than one software program if you know of any instaed of writing code, as long as they can all work together.

Thanks in advance.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!